Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: lateral ankle sprain (CF?)

Re: Recovery from a sprained a

get yourself booked in with someone. What you describe doesn't sound too straight forward with the change in stability etc.

Iain, I'm suffering with the exact pain as you have described!! I went over on my ankle weeks ago now, when the ground was frozen. I have a pain just below my ankle joint which is preventing me training altogether! We have a physio that visits work once a week, i've just booked in so hopefully she can sort it........ getting really frustrated though big races coming up!

Hi Iain,
    Losses in proprioceptive sense are common after sprained ankles and this is the reason you are continuing to go over on it. Proprioception is the sensation of your bodies position in space. Without retraining this you will continue to have an unstable ankle and are likely to carry on repeatedly injuring it.

I wouldn't recommend strapping it as a long-term solution as this will simply make you reliant on the strapping for support rather than help the ankle regain its stability.

Seeing a physio will help with the local inflammatory process and hence the pain but will also mean you can rehab the ankle with exercise and prevent this injury reoccurring.

Good luck with it,

JLS
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

i wholeheartedly agree with the above. i did mine v badly before xmas (tennis ball style - they were v impressed in A&E) and i'm sorry to say there is no quick fix. i saw two different physios who gave me ultrasound and lots of exercises to do. i bought myself an inflatable wobble bag thingy and spent ages rehabing the ankle. one physio told me that the ankle wouldnt be 100% for 6 weeks and therefore not to run off road till after 6 weeks. I'm completely unfit now cos i did practically nothing for 6 weeks. But my ankle feels really good and strong.
    Runners are so obsessive they are their own worst enemies. You can make a thorough recovery but dont expect it to happen overnight. Get to the physio.

Ankle Twisting

Just a quick one here, I went over on my ankle on Friday, heard it crack it really hurt. I was back running after two minutes and it was fine.

That night it was sore and swollen right on the bone that sticks out. I could walk on it with a limp and a bit of pain, but after 2 minutes of walking it was fine again, I iced it that night.

The next day I did a 9 hour walk up Helvellyn - Fairfield and St Sunday. It was fine except when I struck a rock a bit funny and I even managed to jog down off St Sunday.

Today its a bit sore when I start walking, but then loosens up. Its also sore to touch and prod.

I'm guessing that the best thing to do is keep the thing moving and keep going with the running.

Im entered into Coniston on Saturday, Im not sure what the decent is like, would it be a stupid move.

Jamie

Re: Ankle Twisting

There cant be much basically wrong with the ankle if you can do a long walk and jog on it. Probably a bit bruised. The descent off Coniston can be a bit of a clatter, depending on which line you take, and you might knock it again when the going gets loose. Great race though. Decisions decisions

Thanks for that Crib,

I was guessing that its not to badly damaged. Ill get the wobble board out of the cupboard and stand on one leg with my eyes shut for a week

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    I was guessing that its not to badly damaged. Ill get the wobble board out of the cupboard and stand on one leg with my eyes shut for a week
    Remember to take brief stops occasionally to eat and drink

Take care - a friend had a pain in their foot that went away with running which turned into a fracture. I'm not saying that'll happen here, but I'd look for another race unless you're certain you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Remember to take brief stops occasionally to eat and drink

Take care - a friend had a pain in their foot that went away with running which turned into a fracture. I'm not saying that'll happen here, but I'd look for another race unless you're certain you're fine.
    the same thing has happened me I went over slightly on my ankle and despite at the time being in pain I carried on training but on the roads. Thinking it would just get better after a couple of days I went off for an Xray and nothing was picked up I carried on again the pain just didnt go away went back for an Xray there it was a fracture... 2 weeks rest it was fine.

I suggest you go and get your ankle checked out by a really good physio. In June 2005 I twisted my ankle and heard something crack. Continued walking as I was halfway down a french mountain at the time. Some swelling & discomfort but nothing terrible - was able to continue my backpacking holiday. Nearly 2 years later, just when I was hoping I was nearly better, a long walk on saturday has left me hardly able to put foot to ground today (tuesday). This after buckets of ice, restricted exercise, stretching and strengthening, 2 cancelled walking holidays, 2 physios, 2 podiatrists, 1 orthoticist, 1 sports doctor, 1 consultant, sports massage, xray, ultrasound and MRI scan (much of this paid for by me). If it were all to do again, I would have given my ankle more rest and I would have striven even harder to find a professional who could understand what is wrong and help me put it right. Good luck!