Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: lateral ankle sprain (CF?)

Re: Ankle Twisting

Turned my ankle and heard a crunch, did the same (as in running on it it was ok) but when it was rested it got real stiff and sore(hur..hur!) Physio told me off big time as I'd twanged the ligaments in the ankle and it was endorphins from the running that made it ok whilst running, but by running I was aggravating the injury. Rest it and get it sorted by a proper medical person! We dont always know best.

Re: Ankle Twisting

Its still pretty swollen and bruised, Ive just iced and massaged it with Glucosamine Gel.

Coniston on Sat is out of the question. Bummer
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 03-05-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Unhappy Twisted ankle

I turned my ankle quite badly 3 weeks ago whilst running downhill and it still hurts now. Just wondering if anyone has any useful advice for me - I'm a bit new to running injuries. Basically, i can roll my left foot inwards ok but when I turn it outwards I'm in agony.

Re: Twisted ankle

Oh where to start........

Obviously R.I.C.E to start with but then get movement going including stretching to stop the ankle stiffening.

Pushing it isn't too bad a thing to do as long as there is no risk of going over on it again. So that means hit the roads when it is fine to run on again. Strap it whilst it is still weak. If it hurts or you don't feel safe on it then DON'T run on it.

Get a wobble board or a rolled up towel and practise your stalk impressions. I did (and still do) loads of things on one foot. This includes making dinner, cups of tea at work etc. Basically any time balancing on 1 foot helps. Try doing it whilst chucking a ball against a wall or close your eyes. Helps get the balance back and also strength.

Ankle raises. Do them slow, if it burns your calfs then you are doing it right.

Get a thereband and strap it to your desk at work and build up strength there.

When stretching and trying to get rid of the stiffness then heat helps.

It takes a while but can start healing fast once you have broken the back of it. If it is any help I did mine badly at start of March and ended up in a cast. I am now well on the way to recovery but you really do get the results from the effort you put in to aid recovery.

Have a good look through the forum as there is loads of info in past threads!

Good luck with it all. Also once it is fixed then keep strengthening it! If you don't then it will happen again.

rehab rehab rehab!

Hmm, this stuff to do at your desk is all very well but I'm a landscape gardener and spend most of the day building stuff, digging holes, or driving my van. I must make an effort to try the things you've suggested - it's just that they aren't really possible during the day.

Banned

Try a wobble board, they are a massive help in rehab.

had trouble with my left ankle for ages,got that sorted,then i went and twisted my right over in the mournes,and i'm still having trouble with it now,went on me yesterday again,best thing is rest,think i might take up knitting

I've had this trouble before - 2 x tips (ignore if you already know)
    1) Balance on one leg with eyes shut every day (sounds mental but it works!)
    2) Soak injured ankle in salty water

These are old tricks & have helped me greatly, hope they help you...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyVortex View Post
    I've had this trouble before - 2 x tips (ignore if you already know)
    1) Balance on one leg with eyes shut every day (sounds mental but it works!)
    2) Soak injured ankle in salty water

These are old tricks & have helped me greatly, hope they help you...
    Salty Water?

Whats that meant to do? I have never heard that one before but if it works then always happy to give it a shot.

Does sound like an old wifes tale though? do you have to put in wing of bat to the water?