Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: lateral ankle sprain (CF?)

Re: Twisted ankle

Thanks to all those who recommended getting a wobble board: it has certainly proved a real eye-opener. Basically, I had no balance at all! When I first got it I couldn't balance on the thing for more than 20 seconds, which explains why I am prone to this injury. I'm getting much better now and can do it for about 2 minutes at a push. I can also now balance on it on one leg, which is progress. My ankle still hurts (turned it again 3 weeks ago) but I learnt my lesson. I've since taken the rehab far more seriously and the ankle is starting to get better. I'm hoping to start running again in a couple of weeks (on the flat of course). I may have to give my local hill race a miss in July but at least things are heading in the right direction. Many thanks again.

hey i don't know about the salt - but i've read that cold water (as oppose to ice) can be a good secondary stage to boost healing by increasing circulation to the area - without causing further inflammation

- where ice is good in the early days after injury, cold water for about half an hour (which is longer than 20min recomende for icing) is what was recommended.
    - basically if you put some water and a tray of icecubes in a bucket with your foot/ankle for half an hour - when you take your foot out it should be a bit red (if its white the water is too icy) - apparently it takes this longer amount of time to get this response.

Trashed my ankle badly at Edale FR; x-rayed - not bust, ligaments torn, very swollen & foot/ankle now horrible colour....damn & blast (just a few of the words uttered)!

Have read thru' this thread and further advice on icing sequence & periods would be much appreciated?? Plus any info' on anti-inflammatory drugs/treatments..?

More icing next.....
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    Trashed my ankle badly at Edale FR; x-rayed - not bust, ligaments torn, very swollen & foot/ankle now horrible colour....damn & blast (just a few of the words uttered)!

Have read thru' this thread and further advice on icing sequence & periods would be much appreciated?? Plus any info' on anti-inflammatory drugs/treatments..?

More icing next.....
    Andy, my other half went over on hers at Saddleworth. It was a right state, but she's back running already.

Aside from the ice treatments and just before bed, soak an old flannel in cold water and then ring it out. Place this over the injury and cover this in plastic I.e. plastic bag. Then strap both into place and not too tightly, because your going to leave this on all night.

Try and mobilise the ankle by gradually extending its range of movement and walk on it as much as poss. Painful but essential.

After about a week you should be back running erm i mean hobbling.

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Andy, my other half went over on hers at Saddleworth. It was a right state, but she's back running already.

Aside from the ice treatments and just before bed, soak an old flannel in cold water and then ring it out. Place this over the injury and cover this in plastic I.e. plastic bag. Then strap both into place and not too tightly, because your going to leave this on all night.

Try and mobilise the ankle by gradually extending its range of movement and walk on it as much as poss. Painful but essential.

After about a week you should be back running erm i mean hobbling.

Best wishes
    Thanks Chris.... much appreciated!
    (I was a bit horrified to find ankle & foot like a red/ purple/green/brown ballon this morning...)
    The hobble is coming on quite well ....
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Thanks Chris.... much appreciated!
    (I was a bit horrified to find ankle & foot like a red/ purple/green/brown ballon this morning...)
    The hobble is coming on quite well ....
    I heard that the air was blue as well Andy. Hope you get it sorted soon. The hills have been quiet enough over the last month, get well and get back out there.

my ankle update is that having twisted it pretty badly at fairfield (3 weeks ago now) - i can now run on it on the road (or the smooth paths of ecclesall woods) - but that its not actually ready for off road proper (as aborted club run from hathersage on sunday demonstrated)

running steady up hill from hathersage was ok and up through plantation was ok - but the rocky path on top of stanage (which is my favourite normally) - was just too hard!

More icing next.....
    i did my ankle too at edale fr.
    just going down the side of coopers farm.
    an x-ray showed no brake but very very painfull.
    booked in to see a physio to find out how badly damaged the ligaments are!
    spent the last few days with ice on it for 20mins at a time and elevated above the heart.
    mine to is many colours
    theres alot of info on tha net about this type of injury.
    beening of work theres nowt much else to do!!!!
    lets hope were back running soon.
    good luck.

I'm also in the process of trying to strengthen my right ankle which i sprained badly last year playing football - alway interested in any tips - i find throwing the ball against a wall works really well.

But what is a thereband? - sounds quite interesting if i could hide it under my desk at work!!

Thera-band is a latex strip that you can tie in a loop and use for resistance exercises.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THERABAND-THER...dZp1638Q2em122

NHS physio was a bit tight and gave me about a foot of band off a roll and I strap it to the foot of the desk. If you get one then let me know and I will happily let you know the exercises I was given.