Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY bicyce repair anyone?

DIY bicyce repair anyone?

Got an ugly clik click BB noise on my roadie. Started very minor and after few 100s km it gradually became horrible. Convinced myself it was the BB (pressfit), and had to be replaced. Bought all tools online (expensive), and a new BB (cheap). Watched all Park Tool videos on BB etc.

But before I did the job myself (never yet removed or installed a BB myself), I went for chat to my bike shop.

Him: "You sure it's not the pedals?"
    Me: "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure."

He changed the pedals, noise gone and all perfect now, costed peanuts.
    Actually he charged me more than double what he "should" have, still happy it was not the BB (would have been of course much more expensive, and more hassle / time).
    And of course a huge blow to my pride as amateur bike mechanics.
    But hey, still happy....

Bottom line: if you do DIY repair, but are not really proficient, it's likely it will cost you more time, stress, and money than paying a shop.
    Sad but true.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm happy to do most repairs myself including BB replacement but there are times when you need professional assistance. I too had what I thought was a creaking sound coming from the BB but couldn't pinpoint it. It seemed to be only present when putting pressure on the pedals so I had isolated it to at least pedals, cranks or BB or so I thought. The bike was still under warranty so took it into the shop where they immediately diagnosed it as coming from the front thru axle and 5 minutes later after a good greasing, the problem was gone. Heaven knows what I would have done if left to my own devices! BTW this also illustrates the ability of a carbon frame to transmit and amplify any sound coming from your bike elevating it's status to an imminent major component failure which on any metal frame you would have probably considered it a minor niggle and something to have a look at one rainy day....
    Last edited by PeteS; 16-05-2023 at 07:42 AM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I'm happy to do most repairs myself including BB replacement but there are times when you need professional assistance. I too had what I thought was a creaking sound coming from the BB but couldn't pinpoint it. It seemed to be only present when putting pressure on the pedals so I had isolated it to at least pedals, cranks or BB or so I thought. The bike was still under warranty so took it into the shop where they immediately diagnosed it as coming from the front thru axle and 5 minutes later after a good greasing, the problem was gone. Heaven knows what I would have done if left to my own devices! BTW this also illustrates the ability of a carbon frame to transmit and amplify any sound coming from your bike elevating it's status to an imminent major component failure which on any metal frame you would have probably considered it a minor niggle and something to have a look at one rainy day....
    What a depressing thread! I have just booked my Bianchi in with Woodrups for the dreaded creak when I stand on the left pedal.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    What a depressing thread! I have just booked my Bianchi in with Woodrups for the dreaded creak when I stand on the left pedal.
    I've had creaky BBs before and sorted them however when the same noise appeared on the tandem after about 2 months from new I stopped mid ride when it got annoying and went around the bike with the allen keys. Low and behold the rear handlebar bolts needed about half a turn and the problem was solved. I was convinced it was coming from the BB.
    One step beyond.

My road bike had a creak, when I peddled hard (as in uphill), impossible to replicate on a stand. More torque = more squeak, convinced it was the BB and it drove me potty all last summer. Put the bike away in the shed for the winter and this spring , no squeak.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The polecat had fixed it for you!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I like that approach to maintenance. My bikes should all be perfect now!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Bottom line: if you do DIY repair, but are not really proficient, it's likely it will cost you more time, stress, and money than paying a shop.
    Sad but true.
    Possibly true, but how else do you learn? I took apart my first bottom bracket at 14, and it took me an hour of 'hard labour' (and bad language) to discover that the the threaded right-hand cup had a reverse thread Back then the bearings were loose balls, and working at the back of our garage when I dismantled it one rolled under the chest freezer

The skills I learnt 40+ years ago have saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds as I developed an 'I can do that' attitude to not just bike repair, but all forms of DIY too.

I too had what I thought was a creaking sound coming from the BB but couldn't pinpoint it. It seemed to be only present when putting pressure on the pedals so I had isolated it to at least pedals, cranks or BB or so I thought.
    I have twice had occurrences of a strange noise coming from the bottom bracket area when applying a relatively high (by my standards) level of torque.

In both cases it was due to the chain grating on the front derailleur, but only when applying a higher than normal level of torque. I eventually discovered that in both cases the cause was a crack in the seat-tube where it met the bottom bracket - and these were both Reynolds 531 steel frames.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Possibly true, but how else do you learn? I took apart my first bottom bracket at 14, and it took me an hour of 'hard labour' (and bad language) to discover that the the threaded right-hand cup had a reverse thread Back then the bearings were loose balls, and working at the back of our garage when I dismantled it one rolled under the chest freezer
    Probably, also in my early teens I attacked my trusty Carlton road bike and tried to free a frozen cotter pin (younger readers may need to Google) with a hammer and blunt screwdriver, my chosen tools of choice in those days!
    I did get it out but of course damaged the BB bearings in the process so ended up having to replace those too. Live and learn..
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Probably, also in my early teens I attacked my trusty Carlton road bike and tried to free a frozen cotter pin (younger readers may need to Google) with a hammer and blunt screwdriver, my chosen tools of choice in those days!
    I did get it out but of course damaged the BB bearings in the process so ended up having to replace those too. Live and learn..
    Just to establish my credentials... I had a Carlton and it had ****** cotter pins.

In a moment of youthful madness after a few years I decided to have the bike resprayed from black to a shimmering gorgeous sunset golden colour so back to Carlton it went through the local dealer**. Somehow Carlton damaged the top thread on the forks and filed off the damaged section so reducing the length of the thread so much that the forks could not be reassembled to the frame.

Eventually Carlton sent me new forks!

** He also sold Freddie Grubb and I used to press my nose against the glass window and dream...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-05-2023 at 08:35 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".