Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
If you want to avoid the A66 from Penrith you could go out from Penrith to Greystoke then along through Motherby - once you get to the A66 you will find that you can ride on the old road to beyond Troutbeck Moor, then cross over and you can use it again to Scales before a short stretch down the pavement (cycleway) and back on to the old road to Threlkeld. Through the village, cross over again and up past the Stone Circle at Castlerigg to drop in to Keswick from there. It always surprises me when I see cyclists on the main road here when there is such a good alternative.
Cougar, this is the way I went in the end - a glance at the OS and you can see that you only have to be on the A66 for about 2 miles in total, thanks for pointing it out.

It's the last time I ride any distance with a heavy rucksack though: Whinlatter and Newlands Hause I found pretty much impossible to get up carrying the extra weight - I couldn't really get out of the saddle for it swinging about.

Also it killed my lower back - at least I'm hoping it was the rucksack. If I'm going to get that pain from riding unencumbered then my cycling career will be very short I'm afraid ...