Page 137 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1846

Thread: Full Tour of Pendle

Re: Full Tour of Pendle

Quote Originally Posted by Flightless Bird View Post
    Andy,

Just checked the map against the grid refs on the entry form - CP 1 seems to have changed in recent years.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Last year it was at the corner of the wall trig side of stile according to mate who ran last year

CP1 is no longer on the wall due N of Pendle trig point. It was moved to take people off the path alongside the wall running down into Ogden Clough due to erosion concerns. You now go from the trig point N to stile over wall, turn left and follow path across moor to wall that comes up from Downham Moor to the new CP1. From here you turn L and head back to Ogden Clough SSW either along wall or across open moor. Effectively doing two sides of a triangle.

To stop erosion would it not make more sense to make the trig cp1 and run down the flagged path to meet up with the path over to the nick...Then you wouldnt have any erosion problems at all with erosion ?
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    To stop erosion would it not make more sense to make the trig cp1 and run down the flagged path to meet up with the path over to the nick...Then you wouldnt have any erosion problems at all with erosion ?
    Running down that path is sh!te. It's a fell race, not a road race. The organisers route gets my vote.
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Running down that path is sh!te. It's a fell race, not a road race. The organisers route gets my vote.
    True but id rather run down it than up it..Just a thought really im happy with the current route
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    From here you turn L and head back to Ogden Clough SSW either along wall or across open moor. Effectively doing two sides of a triangle.
    So which is quicker - along wall or across open moor?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnstein View Post
    So which is quicker - along wall or across open moor?
    It depends whether you get lost or not - if you take the open moor and get a few degrees out in the clag you can end up in Merely Clough instead of Ogden Clough.

The question is should you take an alternative route to the new CP1? (Is that within the rules as it doesn't say the route to CP1 is fixed?)

There's the option to run straight from Barley up past CP4 all the way up Ogden Clough - a little more distance but less ascent. Or, partway up the ascent to the trig then fire off to the left and take a direct line to CP1 and reduce around 2.3km to around 1.6km - less ascent, but what Mapper would call fell terrain rather than trail.
    I did the latter on a recce as I couldn't imagine going over the trig nd it wasn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It depends whether you get lost or not - if you take the open moor and get a few degrees out in the clag you can end up in Merely Clough instead of Ogden Clough.

The question is should you take an alternative route to the new CP1? (Is that within the rules as it doesn't say the route to CP1 is fixed?)

There's the option to run straight from Barley up past CP4 all the way up Ogden Clough - a little more distance but less ascent. Or, partway up the ascent to the trig then fire off to the left and take a direct line to CP1 and reduce around 2.3km to around 1.6km - less ascent, but what Mapper would call fell terrain rather than trail.
    I did the latter on a recce as I couldn't imagine going over the trig nd it wasn't so bad.
    Interesting point, but I'm sure you have to visit the old CP1 first and jump over the stile before heading to the new one.

I did wonder this too.

That's definately an option WP. I think the route up Ogden Clough is too much of a detour but your 2nd option of 'firing off' to the left is a possibility. Only snag is once you reach the area around the top of Boar Clough the ground over Barley Moor to the wall / stream junction is very rough with a few peat hags, where as running over the top past the trig is easier underfoot so will make for a faster pace.
    See the light in the night