Page 172 of 185 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1846

Thread: Full Tour of Pendle

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    banana skins take much longer than a couple of months to decompose: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...tains-scotland
    and I have heard they alter the pH value/acidity of the soil/peat so damage is done.
    whatever you take onto the hill should be taken off....leave only footprints. there's no excuse in my book.
    In the context of hundreds of people driving many miles to a fell race, does a few banana skins rotting away on the fellside really constitute environmental damage?

Quote Originally Posted by noj View Post
    In the context of hundreds of people driving many miles to a fell race, does a few banana skins rotting away on the fellside really constitute environmental damage?
    See previous comment pal

Yes it's the thin end of the wedge. if it doesn't occur naturally then you should take it home. In areas of Scotland that includes any toilet waste and more poo bins are turning up all the time.

the higher you go the less bacteria for breaking waste down. The summit of the Bens eco system has been destroyed not only by rubbish but also by the scattering of ashes.

I'm not advocating this but If you really really feel the need to dump Biodegradable rubbish on the hill it should be buried away from water courses and paths(50m away) personally if you can take it up you can carry it down.

well over a ton of rubbish was recently taken off the hills of the NAT 3 peaks by a group of volunteer instructors....

Rant over, feel free to renew the thread to one of the best races around....

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    But whilst they are rotting down, they pose a threat to livestock, particularly sheep. If you've ever been at a Lakeland Classics race where Joss is handing out the prizes, he nearly always rounds off with the comment, "Please take your banana skins home; if the sheep attempt to eat them, it's a big vets' bill."
    I'm sure Joss is correct, but logically it seems odd that a ruminant, which is so well-adapted to chewing and digesting plant-based food, would be threatened by a banana skin.

I usually just take the wrapper off a bar before the start, put the wrapper in the bin and put the bar in my pocket, then no wrapper on the hill! Also wastes less time when I can just reach into my pocket and break off a bit of bar without having to open the wrapper. Obviously that wouldn't work with gels but then, aren't they for road runners?!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Yes it's the thin end of the wedge...
    Think my point has been missed, which is that these things are not all equivalent. To take an extreme example, dumping a plastic bag full of rubbish at a summit is not the same as chucking a banana skin into the undergrowth away from the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Rant over, feel free to renew the thread to one of the best races around....
    I agree ... back to the important stuff

Think my point has been missed, which is that these things are not all equivalent. To take an extreme example, dumping a plastic bag full of rubbish at a summit is not the same as chucking a banana skin into the undergrowth away from the trail.

I agree ... back to the important stuff
    I agree the thread should return to the FTOP.

But, really.....take your rubbish home.
    Rubbish is rubbish. Wherever and whenever it's dumped.

Please don't suggest even slightly that leaving rubbish anywhere should be done or encouraged. rant over.

Rubbish is rubbish. Wherever and whenever it's dumped.
    Actually it's not. What is rubbish to some is often of value to others. That is why so much effort is put into separating "waste" into different streams for recycling, composting etc.

Please don't suggest even slightly that leaving rubbish anywhere should be done or encouraged.
    I didn't - why would anyone want to encourage littering? I was suggesting that some forms of littering are worse than others. And therefore that some litterers should be reprimanded more severely than others.

I agree the thread should return to the FTOP.
    OK, my rant over too!

I agree with the earlier comments regarding bananas. A friend of mine started using lettuce as food in longer races - high water content you see.

I told him off once for discarding the bits that were less crispy. He thought it was fine, until I explained it was the tip of the iceberg.

Sorry - it is Friday afternoon.