Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 11th Nov. Recce Legs 1 and 2.

Re: 11th Nov. Recce Legs 1 and

Bailed and went home. Once I was off the hill that was it. Missed a few big days now fir one reason or another and the whole mid winter shabang is probably not on now. Too few big days and not enough talent to blag it.

snow has gone now. shame as it was pristine on weds. saw a lone skier out on raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Bailed and went home. Once I was off the hill that was it. Missed a few big days now fir one reason or another and the whole mid winter shabang is probably not on now. Too few big days and not enough talent to blag it.
    Sorry to hear that ST. I've been following your blog this year, as I had last year, and it's provided no small amount of inspiration for me (I'm hoping on a summer round next year). Sounds to me like you've done a lot of prep and the fact you were considering a 12 hour day's training reflects that. You obviously know what you're doing and a mid-winter round is no doubt a monumental task, but it'd be a shame to see all your hard work not result in you giving it a crack (easy to say, I know). I for one would be willing you round!
    Geoff Clarke

the whole mid winter shabang is probably not on now. Too few big days and not enough talent to blag it.
    Not having that !
    I've just had a look at your blog and up to 2 weeks ago you were blazing according to your accounts, fit and strong.
    Look at what you said about the 1st of November; OMM - no pain
    That fitness has gone nowhere. I can guarantee you it is still there.
    At the end of your last post you reckoned on doing 4 or 5 12 hour days in 4 weeks then a 2 week taper.
    My opinion is that is way too much and you'd be heading into your BG deeply tired.
    So for me the fact that you have missed a couple of 12 hour days is no bad thing.
    I guess that you want to do these for confidence, for the psychological element as much as the physical.

You are now 5 weeks from your round, plenty of time to do a few big days - and not too many big days - and to taper for the round.
    Here is an idea of a plan
    Its more than I would dream of doing in the run up to a round but your approach seems to be higher volume than mine
    so its a half way house between what I would do and what you have talked about.

Week 13th - 19th Nov big day at 12 hrs
    Week 20th - 26th Nov big day at 6 hours
    Week 27th - 3rd Dec big day at 8 hours
    Week 4th - 10th Dec big run 4 hours
    Week 11th - 17th Dec big run 3 hours

The last of my biggest days ahead of my BG was 6 weeks before the round

It not really about talent
    Its about hard graft in preparation
    you have done the ground-work and you are already on the home straight.
    There is no need to throw the towel in, but my caution would be don't over-do it, don't try and make up those missed runs
    1 - it will wreck you, 2- you don't need them.

I hope this helps

PS
    I also direct you to your blog
    please read your entry for weeks 13 and 14 and note the effect of week 13 :wink:
    Last edited by andy k; 12-11-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Great day out yesterday, wind was very strong on Skiddaw but by Clough Head it was ferocious.
    Orocs are no good for road running though
    Bill

the whole mid winter shabang is probably not on now. Too few big days and not enough talent to blag it.
    Agree with Andy

You've done the training and have got it in your legs its all down to luck with conditions on the day and your head now :wink

Focus on all the good days you've had that prove you can do it.

Do not go mad with lots of big days out.

Save all you're mental strength for the big day now.
    Bill

Going to sleep on it. Thanks for the encouragment/barracking. It feels aillion miles away, and next month doesn't.

Well i guess there are at least 2 other winter attempts going on this year so not all eyes will be on you for a change. You could just slip out the back door now and nobody would be any the wiser. Mebbe next year whipper snapper eh?

Cheers 4 a crackin day Bill, Jim and Special thanx to Rich for organising. Keep me posted for future jaunts. The fire for a BG attempt has been lit!!