Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11th Nov. Recce Legs 1 and 2.

Re: 11th Nov. Recce Legs 1 and

Hi Rich

Sound's like you the other guys had a good run out today, sound's tough going but I'm sure lots of fun, let me know when you have another run out planned

Cheers
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by richpips View Post
    Yep, Wind, Severe and Fun. Not a day to do the whole BG for sure.

A surprisingly clear day for route finding though.

We bailed after Calfhow Pike, progress being severely hampered by the wind, and none of us much fancied Helvellyn in those conditions.

Thanks Bill, Jim and Dave for your company.
    Sounds like a good day. Well done chaps, for your efforts and decision making. Am in Keswick yha now listening to that gale. Alarm set for 0500. Hoping to get 9 hours in parking at newlands and heading to wasdale on an a/c bg route and then back over Moses trod and dale head tarn. MAy modify and park at honister if it's still dodgy.

Sounds like a good day. Well done chaps, for your efforts and decision making. Am in Keswick yha now listening to that gale. Alarm set for 0500. Hoping to get 9 hours in parking at newlands and heading to wasdale on an a/c bg route and then back over Moses trod and dale head tarn. MAy modify and park at honister if it's still dodgy.
    Hope you have a good day. Glad to hear you have a plan B though.

So much for that. Got halfway up robinson in dry, overcast conditions when I was literally lifted off my feet and tumbled quite some way down the fell. It wasn't a gust either, that was the wind - the strongest I've ever encountered in 25 years amongst the fells. The lack of rain and some clear tops made it look appetising and I was keen as mustard setting off at 0700 but that was serious sh*t up there!

Am sitting it out in Keswick hoping it drops as forecast. May do something later. Not happy tho :-(

Bad luck that. I did think of you guys with days in the hills planned when the wind was howling last night. Not nice, although a bit of me was slightly envious. Not so much now! Tough call to come down, but not a lot you can do if you can't keep your feet on the ground. I had a similar thing a couple of years ago heading up to Dale Head. Scary stuff.
    Geoff Clarke

I hope you get out a bit later on Mark! It was really bad up there yesterday and by all account strengthening winds - you might just have to stop low for today if its anything like yesterday it will be really dangerous on the higher tops. Fingers crossed for better weather in december!

If the wind keeps up you could probably find a few hours in Winlatter forest.

I was out for a quick jaunt up my local hill last night. For the first time ever, my torch blew off my head and yes - it was on properly. wed was something very different. would have been a great day for a winter BG. there were significant stretches of neve but also some post holing. all thats gone for a while though.

has all the snow gone off the tops in the Lakes then?

I'm thinking of doing Leg 2 in the dark next Friday evening, and would prefer no snow really
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    has all the snow gone off the tops in the Lakes then?

I'm thinking of doing Leg 2 in the dark next Friday evening, and would prefer no snow really
    There was snow but not lots on what we did, mostly avoidable. It's warm though, what there is must be melting.