Page 80 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennine Bridleway Relay

Re: Pennine Bridleway Relay

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanuk View Post
    I met Chris on the FRA navigation course in Sept ,he's a top bloke and does a fantastic job for all of us.
    Indeed he does and it is heartening to read an informed posting on here.

It is because Chris negotiated the FRA/UU agreement (referred to in my post 747) that the event (and others) can even take place.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-02-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Mapper...thanks for your offer.....please get in touch nearer to next years event
    So my offer of manning a couple of gates did the trick eh ?

Seriously though Lefty ~ Well Done in getting the race back on the map.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed he does and it is heartening to read an informed posting on here.
    That seems to dismiss the vast majority of posts as ill-informed. You might not agree with some of what's been written, but that doesn't mean that the opinion was ill informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    That seems to dismiss the vast majority of posts as ill-informed. You might not agree with some of what's been written, but that doesn't mean that the opinion was ill informed.
    Second that; we all have reason to be concerned about access and events and we don't need self-important comment like this.

There's clearly a significant strength of feeling about what's happened here and to be seen to dismiss it in this way does you no favours Graham. I realise it must be a frightful nuisance to have to lower yourself to our level but you'll just have to learn to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Second that; we all have reason to be concerned about access and events and we don't need self-important comment like this.

There's clearly a significant strength of feeling about what's happened here and to be seen to dismiss it in this way does you no favours Graham. I realise it must be a frightful nuisance to have to lower yourself to our level but you'll just have to learn to deal with it.

Of course there is significant strength...etc.

It is just unfortunate that these feelings were expressed via unfounded criticisms of UU (with whom the FRA has to deal-unlike the majority of people sounding off on here), the FRA, TheGrump, ignorance of the laws relating to bridleways, the rights of organisers to mount events over other people's land etc..

Do you need any more examples?

The Forum is a wonderful vehicle for the expression of opinions, but rather less good as a platform for facts.

It is just unfortunate that these feelings were expressed via unfounded criticisms of UU (with whom the FRA has to deal-unlike the majority of people sounding off on here), the FRA, TheGrump, ignorance of the laws relating to bridleways, the rights of organisers to mount events over other people's land etc..

The Forum is a wonderful vehicle for the expression of opinions, but rather less good as a platform for facts.
    Unfounded criticism? - I'm not sure that's a fact based on some of the facts previously posted on here.

Some of the tone may be unfortunate and of course we might need their support, but they should not be beyond criticism and it seems from the post by SportSunday that there may have been some failings by UU as well.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 18-02-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Not sure anyone has criticised the FRA, just wondered what they were doing about the problem, as they have a right to do. People often ask 'why join the fra?', well lobbying on their behalf is one of those reasons and I think we just wanted some reassurance that lobbying was or would take place. That reassurance was given via ChrisK.

I'm unrepentant about criticising The Grump; his/her simplistic pedantic posts regarding Rule 19 have laid him/her wide open to that. I've little time for those who seek to pontificate from behind a pseudonym; their posts carry no intrinsic value above any others.

As for facts, well I've learnt quite a bit from other, more helpful, contributors about bridleway law, the rules regarding the staging of events, insurance underwriting etc.

I'm very hopeful about the future of this event and I'd second Mapper's comments about volunteering; if I ever fail to get in a team or fall injured then I'd pledge to volunteer my gate marshalling skills to Lefty. Perhaps a voluntary levy of one marshall per team might be a good idea.

Good luck Lefty, hope you sort it, for all our sakes.

How true
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Wasn't going to going to reply to this thread again but I'll get a few things off me chest. When this all blew up and Lefty posted on the cancellation of this great event I was a little shocked at the speed of certain members to criticize fellow runners,I even had the feeling some the point of gloating.Fortunately others questioned the unfairness of this decision of UU and why this should be. Since then events have come to light pointing to one employee of UU who took seems to have taken a decision based on fotas illegally lifted from Sportsunday website. This person it appears wasn't at the event(certainly not where they where supposed to be) on the day.
    Will the Grump be waving the rulebook on "copyright ownership" at the ranger with the same gusto as members are treated?
    All the members are asking of the FRA "Illuminati" is to show a bit more well, leader-shippyness........one unfortunate comment coming from them was to call a section "out of control fellrunners", his view.
    Yes, we do appreciate work done on our behalf by the FRA and in 20 odd years of fellrunning i've had no reason to fault them.....just be more diplomatic with your own people.
    English Cross-country for me today.................one-love.

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    All the members are asking of the FRA "Illuminati" is to show a bit more well, leader-shippyness........one unfortunate comment coming from them was to call a section "out of control fellrunners", his view.
    Dear JD What I actually wrote was:

"... if there were to be a subsequent row between long standing UU tenants and some apparently uncontrollable fellrunners, where the sympathy of UU would lie."

I would have thought it was clear I was writing about UU and their perception of events.

An accurate remark in the saga of events don't you think?

GB