Page 430 of 430 FirstFirst ... 330380420428429430
Results 4,291 to 4,300 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well the mystery is over... 4hrs08

I'm not disappointed though, when looking at the results, i finished well clear of one or two "rivals", and was a little closer than expected to a couple that i never expected to get near.

Was warm, not quite as warm and sunny as yesterday, but enough to make it hot work. Tried not to go too hard and reached Pen Y Ghent in 39mins. The next hour across to Ribblehead was taken very steadily and people were absolutely streaming past in their droves. Reached Ribblehead in 1hr41 then turned it up a bit going up Whernside, making up 30 places.

Generally picked up places all the way to the top of Ingleborough. Reaching Ingleborough in 3hrs25 i knew that 4hrs was gone... but of more concern was starting to feel twinges of cramp in both hamstrings... luckily it never took hold, and although i somewhat ran out of steam at Sulber Nick, managed to reach the finish from Ingleborough in 43mins (i'd estimated 45mins would be needed).

As for taking some time off 4hrs08.... i'd imagine now knowing the course would be worth at least 5 mins... and i definitey lost a couple of minute from Sulber Nick.... but on the other hand, i'll be lucky to ever get underfoot conditions as favourable as today...

Hello to FellUpFellDown, nice to see you around the course and at the finish.... hope the knee recovers soon.

And to DanGilbert, good to chat after... after watching your pained attempt to get back to your feet, i tried the same manoeuvre a few minutes later, and it took me a couple of attempts!

Pete
    Well done! That last descent seems to go on forever, and it always seems to be into a headwind.

I seemed to be making a better fist of the last descent than those around me on the steeper sections, and on the flagstones. But when it got more undulating around Sulber Nick i realised i was about done for the day in term of hard effort.

Despite some of the comments i read across social media (including on here) i enjoyed it.. It is a very demanding race... to run well i think requires good road speed as well as fell ability. I picked up loads of places on Whernside and Ingleborough, but only through being very conservative on the faster sections of the course.

Well done Travs, glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like you judged the pacing well.
    The most positive part of my race was that the nearest I came to cramp was standing up again after talking to you!
    I now have the usual post PPP mixed feelings of knowing I should be able to do better but thinking can I face doing it again! I did enjoy it though, I think!

As for taking some time off 4hrs08.... i'd imagine now knowing the course would be worth at least 5 mins... and i definitey lost a couple of minute from Sulber Nick..!

Pete
    Well done. And at least 5 minutes.

The PPP is a fell race like no other because it isn't really a fell race but a trail race with three big hills and your now knowing the race will yield more than 5 minutes in future.

My first time was 4.16 but even when I was ten years older I ran it 18 minutes faster (3.58) because I had learnt how to pace myself; and take on salt to prevent cramp climbing over the stiles in the last few fields.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Nice one Travs. Well paced and a good finishing time.

Tried not to go too hard and reached Pen Y Ghent in 39mins.
    Pete
    I've only ever done PPP twice, but I recall having in my mind to not get to PYG much under 36 mins, and make sure I ran the entire way (whilst others broke into walks), purely as a method to stop myself going off too fast. I would then always enjoy the race, pass people for the rest of the race and finish strongly up and down Ingleborough(indeed the only person who would pass me was Sam Watson who would pace PYG even better!)

PPP always seemed like the only race in the calendar people would 'target', treating it more like a Marathon in preparation than any other fell races. Mainly I suppose so they didn't get shown up by a decent more roadie-runner turning up having targeted it!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I would have benefitted from a couple more hard 15-18 mile road runs in the build up, thats for sure.

In fact they were exactly what i'd planned to do, but work/recovery from races/preferring to go and train on the fells/etc, threw a bit of a spanner in the works, and i think i only managed one proper long flat run of 2hrs.

Thinking of giving the PPP another go next year, after my first attempt in October 2021 saw me struggle around in 4.38 having taken a tumble on PYG and injuring my ribs.

Not on my "must do" list for next year so I shall wait for the WFRA and FRA calendars to arrive so I can check for clashes before I part with £35.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I'm in...

It definitely clashes with Coniston. Not sure about Welsh races though.

I'll be doing Llangollen Fell race a fortnight before as a good "warm up " race.... Llani you'll be familiar with parts of that from the Trig race.

I'm in...

I'll be doing Llangollen Fell race a fortnight before as a good "warm up " race.... Llani you'll be familiar with parts of that from the Trig race.
    I'm planning to do Llangollen too and declining requests from clubmates to do Manchester Marathon which is on the same day. I'm trying to persuade them to come to Llangollen with me!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog