Page 10 of 430 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: three peaks

I just don't know how anyone can do those last 6 miles in 30 min.

Ok its down hill.

But...

the start of the descent from Ing is running on ankle turny rubble.

then there are the stiles.

then the undulating fields before the road.

not to mention the 18 miles and 4900' before that, or the cramp, blisters, dehydration and pain.

You guys must be cyborgs or something!
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Last year I really did not know what to do on the last 4 miles or so miles.

I felt really quite good TBH as well as expected, I had paced my race well all the way round.

I was aiming for 4hrs 15mins, but at that point it would have meant speeding up a bit from the constant pace that already had me well up on the year before.

I did not put a push on (I did not know what effect it might have had), and finished in 4hrs 18mins. I still reckon I was right not to try to cane it. that four miles goes on forever.

Only done it once, but I think it's is a race of two halves - before and after the summit of the second Peak (Whernside). Stay well within your comfort zone before then, then asses how you feel, as you still have about 45% of the race time left (assuming a consistent run).

Better to listen to your body than think too much about split times. You know approximately how many hours you'll be out there for, so just think about that. If you feel suitably fresh at the top of Whernside then think about changing gear, but if you're starting to feel uncomfortable then give yourself an easy 30 minutes or so before the final climb starts.

If you've done the race before I think it's too tempting to set off trying to get ahead of your early split times with the consequence of suffering too soon and getting a slower time by the finish. I've spoken to a few people who've done that.

236 is the best ..............wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

I was going to wait until after the Wadsworth Trog to enter the 3 Peaks but it seems to be getting fuller quicker than last year. I don't think it has been full for a few years has it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybike View Post
    I was going to wait until after the Wadsworth Trog to enter the 3 Peaks but it seems to be getting fuller quicker than last year. I don't think it has been full for a few years has it?
    The PPP has only been "full" once over the last hundred years in 2004, the 50th Anniversary/ English Champ/ filmed for Yorkshire TV / plethora of articles in The Fellrunner/ celebratory booklet (which gives a history and lists past winners) year.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-01-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Cheers Graham. I seem to enter so many races that I do not actually do that I am hoping that I am still fit after Wadsworth. Unfortunately last year I ran well there but was still injured for the PPP

david

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    If you've done the race before I think it's too tempting to set off trying to get ahead of your early split times with the consequence of suffering too soon and getting a slower time by the finish. I've spoken to a few people who've done that.
    In 2004 this was my first race as a V50 and a championship race too so, despite the fact that I've always been pretty useless in any race longer than about 2 hours, I set myself a target of 4 hours which I thought might be good enough to get me a few championsip points. I got to the Hill Inn in 2:43:09 which was quite close to my target time and thought I was still feeling reasonably ok (although a mate supporting me there said I looked dreadful) but completely fell apart over Ingleborough and finished in 4:23:38. I lost about 80 places between Ingleborough summit and the finish.

Cool Re: three peaks

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    236 is the best ..............wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo
    Yeah but 234 will rock the best.

david

Is this the fell running equivalent of panic buying in supermarkets when there's a rumour of a shortage?