Page 320 of 430 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330370420 ... LastLast
Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Mileage of any sort will help, but the best place for it is up there.

You can't discount how tough climbing Whernside is for us mere mortals and I would suggest 2 recces up there which are extremely useful.

Start - PYG - Whernside to Hill Inn.
    Start - PYG-Ribblhead-Hill Inn-Ingleborough-Finish.

They'd help prep you for the race. I can tell you getting to the top of Wherside is when it hits you, you start to come off the top and the cramp hits and you look across the valley to Ingleborough and think "how will I get up and over that?".
    Familiarity - it helps a great deal.

Rather than take race route up Whernside you can follow a path that runs up almost parrallel and is around 400-600m west of the race route on OS.
    The other one you can do, which I found useful is to do an up-and-down of PYG from Horton, then drive up to Ribblehead and do Whernside and Ingleborough (taking the walker's route, which is definitely easier than straight up BTW), but come down Park Fell back to Ribblehead. Then you get most of the climbing in about 19miles or so.

In some senses, because it's a quick race (because it is largely so runnable), it's worth doing some tempo-type running that you'd do if you were doing a Marathon - it's a long run both between PYG and Whernside and off Ingleborough to the finish.

My training this year will be largely targeted for doing London the week before. 3P will just be for fun....
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    The other one you can do, which I found useful is to do an up-and-down of PYG from Horton, then drive up to Ribblehead and do Whernside and Ingleborough (taking the walker's route, which is definitely easier than straight up BTW), but come down Park Fell back to Ribblehead. Then you get most of the climbing in about 19miles or so.

In some senses, because it's a quick race (because it is largely so runnable), it's worth doing some tempo-type running that you'd do if you were doing a Marathon - it's a long run both between PYG and Whernside and off Ingleborough to the finish.

My training this year will be largely targeted for doing London the week before. 3P will just be for fun....
    Blimey, be careful, I dont know you, but that would severely punish your body no matter how fiit you are!! If you are jogging round the ppp that would probably have you out for 4 hrs say, thats a long time to run only a week after pushing your body to the limit ( and thats what the road marathon entails ). Take it easy

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Damn, I've entered that. What the hell was I thinking?
    Eleanor - I think you'll find that cramp in the PPP is a man thing

I've only seen one lady suffering and that was around a couple of miles after the top of Ingleborough. Being the kind soul I was I gave her my last ibuprofen as I only had around 25-30 mins to go.

I didn't suffer with cramp either and found the ascent of Whernside relatively okay - it's the big long flatish sections in between that bugger me up! I think my strength is definitely going up hill and my weakness is, well, running.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Eleanor - I think you'll find that cramp in the PPP is a man thing

I've only seen one lady suffering and that was around a couple of miles after the top of Ingleborough. Being the kind soul I was I gave her my last ibuprofen as I only had around 25-30 mins to go.
    What you want is Ketchup bob on for cramp bang and the cramp is gone !

Am doing a full trip around on Saturday 4th and on the Sunday 5th will be doing a 2 Peaks route of Pen-Y-Ghent and when on the road will be going up Park fell and over to Ingleborough back to Horton if anyone fancys joinning me.

Master

Anybody looking for an entry??? PM me
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Anybody looking for an entry??? PM me
    I asume you've seen the guidance re substitutions on the PPP website Tom?

If you need to substitute your entry please either
    1. Ask your substitute to register with the SPORTident Online Entries System at https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries/login/login.php and ask the substitute to tell you their SPORTIdent Entries ID that is emailed to them when they register. Go to the 'Update Your Entry' link https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries...p?event_id=660 and transfer your entry. Your substitute is then able to update the entry, specifying the correct club name and the qualifying races. Your fee will not be refunded but your substitute does not have to pay again.

or
    2. Forward your entry acknowledgement email with 'Substitution Request' in the Subject line to the entries secretary at: [email protected] with a note to confirm that your entry is available for substitution and we will arrange a substitute runner from the Wait List

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    I asume you've seen the guidance re substitutions on the PPP website Tom?

If you need to substitute your entry please either
    1. Ask your substitute to register with the SPORTident Online Entries System at https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries/login/login.php and ask the substitute to tell you their SPORTIdent Entries ID that is emailed to them when they register. Go to the 'Update Your Entry' link https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries...p?event_id=660 and transfer your entry. Your substitute is then able to update the entry, specifying the correct club name and the qualifying races. Your fee will not be refunded but your substitute does not have to pay again.

or
    2. Forward your entry acknowledgement email with 'Substitution Request' in the Subject line to the entries secretary at: [email protected] with a note to confirm that your entry is available for substitution and we will arrange a substitute runner from the Wait List
    Yeah, I need to find someone off here who can pay me though
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Yeah, I need to find someone off here who can pay me though
    I guessed you had....injured again/still or studies getting in the way?