Page 377 of 430 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387427 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

I think my problem is that I haven't done much racing this year and my speed training has been over short distances. I'm the fastest over them that I've ever been but I do suffer afterwards. I think Fjellguy is right but I can't face long distance road miles. I think in 2011 I was still road racing but it petered out because I just prefer off-road running and racing. Hmmmm...interesting to think about it. Going to log it and leave it for now as I have some long distance challenges coming up which will require a different mindset, more stamina and strength than speed I think.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

keep it i say ( the standards)

Quote Originally Posted by Masham Man View Post
    So many of you out there have talked about cramping or seen people cramping on this years 3 peaks. I use Elete and found it brill at warding off cramps, give it a go I think you will be impressed.
    Cheers MM - might check this out. My problem might have been feeling too good at Chapel-le-dale so not taking on board what I intended to! Paid for it later.
    John H - Howgill Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    I think my problem is that I haven't done much racing this year and my speed training has been over short distances. I'm the fastest over them that I've ever been but I do suffer afterwards. I think Fjellguy is right but I can't face long distance road miles. I think in 2011 I was still road racing but it petered out because I just prefer off-road running and racing. Hmmmm...interesting to think about it. Going to log it and leave it for now as I have some long distance challenges coming up which will require a different mindset, more stamina and strength than speed I think.
    It does get quite tricky trying to train for a variety of events. Even if you think they have a similarity. Ultra distance runs are different to train for than long fells, such as Ennerdale. Then if you fancy a marathon too it does require some balancing of training efforts. Not entirely sure if its a little to do with the level I'm at i.e. steady, last third or so. Also I don't run massive distance so I find the limited training I do has to be more specific close to the event.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Not sure I like this idea either. Its a long hard run just to get told your 2nd class. Better to give a medal for achieving a specific time. Say sub 3.30-40 hrs or something? I think Gisborough Moors Race used to give medals for a sub 90 mins result.
    I would rather have a medal than queuing up for ages for vegetable stew

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    I would rather have a medal than queuing up for ages for vegetable stew
    Maybe that is in fact the reward; if you're fast enough for 1st class you avoid the queue.
    Friends in high places.

JJ73

It's a tough old race and anybody who gets round has the right to pat themselves on the back, even if the certificate rating pours cold water on your efforts! It isn't such a bad thing though and can be used as motivation for future efforts. Anyway I reckon we all know our place in the world of athletics and I'd say there are few fell runners who don't possess modesty and humility, funnily enough especially the good ones who actually have every right to boast. I certainly know my place, Mr Symonds was probably changed and heading for the tea and cake hut when I was dibbing on top of Ingleborough. I have no qualms about being second class, it's a matter of fact! This was my 4th year at 3P and I would have to say you learn summat every year in both the training up to it and race day itself. On Saturday I was 17 mins quicker than my 2010 time, but climbing up Whernside and going up Ingleborough has chewed me up and spat me out every year. If I could just harden up a bit and nail that section then perhaps knock another 17 mins off by 2017 and 3.27 might get me a first class ticket! I can dream, age and body might have the final say though I suppose. What a great event, more or less same faces every year tells it's own story.

Its fantastic to see that the ground was a bit soft and muddy for a change (judging by Hes's fell shoes anyway ) and that there were lots of cramp attacks on Whernside (said he with a sadistic chortle). Every now and then this fell race takes some flack as being nothing more than a hilly 'trail' race and not worthy of its category A status (as it technically doesn't meet the ascent per mile threshold) but, pound for pound, I'd bet that this race finds more runners out than virtually any other on the calendar. I think its the combination of the long drawn out fast section from PyG to Ribblehead followed by the sharp and squidgy climb up Whernside that does it for lots of runners
    Last edited by Stolly; 29-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ73 View Post
    It's a tough old race and anybody who gets round has the right to pat themselves on the back, even if the certificate rating pours cold water on your efforts! It isn't such a bad thing though and can be used as motivation for future efforts.
    Absolutely. It being my first go at this, I didn't realise at the time that I could/should have been trying harder, even though my time was better than I expected, because I was more concerned about keeping enough in reserve to get all the way round. On reflection I have to say I found it kind of easy compared to other races and long runs in training. So I have to take "2nd class" on the chin and just get my backside in gear next time!
    Swa cwæð eardstapa

I agree fully !

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Its fantastic to see that the ground was a bit soft and muddy for a change (judging by Hes's fell shoes anyway ) and that there were lots of cramp attacks on Whernside (said he with a sadistic chortle). Every now and then this fell race takes some flack as being nothing more than a hilly 'trail' race and not worthy of its category A status (as it technically doesn't meet the ascent per mile threshold) but, pound for pound, I'd bet that this race finds more runners out than virtually any other on the calendar. I think its the combination of the long drawn out fast section from PyG to Ribblehead followed by the sharp and squidgy climb up Whernside that does it for lots of runners