Page 378 of 430 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388428 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

My first time and really enjoyed it. Whernside was steep but the real battle was not stopping g in the steady ascent of the flags up Ingleborough
    I had to have a serious word with myself to keep moving, that and not relaxing too much on the descent off Ingleborough.

All in a great race and glad I wore fell shoes. Hope to do it again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I tend to think people cramp more on this than other long fell races because of the amount of flat(ish) fast(ish) running involved. Most long fell races tend to be more broken up and there are more opportunities to slip a little walk in. Also Whernside is very steep at the top then pretty steep and straight into hard running off the top. I found I benifited from treating it a little bit more like a marathon and getting a bit more long flat road work in, if your training for long Lakes or Scottish/Welsh races the hills look after themselves to a degree. Sounds like most people had a good day and some great times.
    I'm sure a lot of fellrunners can relate to this, but it's horses for courses and I find the reverse is true in my case. If I get cramp it's always on very rough ground that involves lifting the legs higher than normal to avoid rocks, grass tussocks etc. I've never had cramp in any road, trail, or XC event of any length or intensity.

I set off on this one fairly confident that a PB was on the cards after training hard and running faster than I have for some time, I even tapered properly (which is rare for me). Got to PYG feeling comfortable and running well within myself, but once the descent through the hail was out of the way and we hit the harder surface trail I just couldn't run downhill. The fatigue at the top of my legs (where they meet the pelvis) was like nothing I'd felt before and could only manage a steady jog on all three descents. The long stretch to Ribblehead and climb up Whernside were fine, but the descent to Hill Inn nearly finished me off. The descent from Ingleborough was just a trudge and finished with a new PW of 4:19.

Looking back at it most of my training over the last 4 months has been on trail or road with plenty of speedwork and a few shorter fell races in the Peak thrown in. The lack of running on big hills with long descents is obvious and I'm certain my legs paid for that.
    Do what you like, like what you do

All 6 sets of pics up now, enjoy http://www.woodentops.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Hills View Post
    All 6 sets of pics up now, enjoy http://www.woodentops.org.uk/
    Great pics of a great day out... But why did I have to pull up with cramp, teeth gritted in agony etc, 10 metres away from Dave's trusty lens?
    John H - Howgill Harriers

Did anyone GPS the reace? Looking for a trace approx 5 hours as mine didn't record. Just keeps my electronic training log going.
    email to [email protected] if you can help.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Did anyone GPS the reace? Looking for a trace approx 5 hours as mine didn't record. Just keeps my electronic training log going.
    Cheers
    Yes (4hrs 56). Will sort it out and email you some point this week.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Yes (4hrs 56). Will sort it out and email you some point this week.
    Cheers - much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Cheers
    Hi Witton Park, link to my details if any use (4:47)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304523900
    Mart.

Some superb pics here from Ian Slater, taken at the Whernside stream crossing: http://rochdaleharriers.co.uk/galler.../is/index.html
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.