Page 419 of 430 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419420421429 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna View Post
    ...There were a lot of runners in the same boat as me who were absolutely dismayed that there was no leeway given on the cut off time for the queue at the bottom of Whernside...

Dismayed indeed.
    It's difficult to understand how this could have happened especially as the race is so superbly organised.
    I feel that you should ask for a refund of your entry fee for that organisational error.

Was aiming in my head for 4.30, but rolled in at over 5.10!
    Funning thing is I was sticking to those 4.30 times (on 3P website) until the bottom of Whernside and was 10 mins inside them at Ribblehead. But by Whernside summit I was behind schedule and at Hill Inn at 3.20, when should have been 3.10 and more importantly, still feeling fresh!.
    Certainly the conditions were tricky on that section (up and down Whernsnide) - constant hail and a pretty treacherous descent (which I ended up sliding down, like a human sledge!).
    The queue at the "pallets" will have contributed a bit but then it was only 5 minutes, which in a long race is not, for me, a great deal. Would be good if it could be sorted in future as I have never known it to be an issue here before and I do feel for those who just missed out at Hill Inn.
    As usual, I found Hill Inn to Ingleborough slow (50 plus mins). One of these days I will train properly on hills and actually enjoy that lovely run into Horton!
    Finally, huge thanks to Marshalls and organisers. This remains one of the best organised, atmospheric and brilliantly supported fell races in the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna View Post
    I was another of the runners held up at the bottom of Whernside trying to cross over the pallet one at a time. Hats off to everyone there as no one decided to vault over any other part of the wall, they all showed remarkable constraint and a high degree of etiquette. To have climbed over and damaged the wall would have been an absolute PR disaster and would have given further vindication to the farmer for not allowing access up the fell to the summit on subsequent races.
    However on a personal level this delay cost me dearly as I just missed the cut off at the Hill Inn.There were a lot of runners in the same boat as me who were absolutely dismayed that there was no leeway given on the cut off time for the que at the bottom of Whernside.
    The female marshall at the Hill Inn check point ,whom appeared to be in control did her best to pacify some of the really upset runners in fact while I was there she had contacted the Race Director for guidance on the issue of the pile up at the bottom of Whernside, but the answer given was a final and unequivocal NO to the fact that the runners had not reached the checkpoint in the allocated time and subsequently were retired off the course
    There has been a breakdown in communication somewhere between the farmer and the race organisers and this needs addressing for next years race
    I think we might have shared the bus back...ha! I got to the Hill Inn and it didn't sink in for a while what had actually happened! I was so comfortably under the previous cut offs (as it was my first Three Peaks, I was worrying about them but in the end cleared them, well 2!) and then realised the queueing at the pallet "did me over". Absolutely gutted as I had trained well & raced well over winter for it and felt fantastic, along with really enjoying myself. Hoping to go back next year and give it a right good go again
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

The race control should have added 5 minutes to the cut off at Hill Inn and I can only assume that they didn't fully appreciate the delay at the wall in not doing so.Which is a shame.

And instead of the farmer being awkward with his tied up and irremoveable pallets, as I thought before, maybe he just thought it would be helpful and safer if it was rock solid to climb over? For sure that gap has often been blocked by a right rickety pallet in the past, albeit one that I guess could be removed I race day

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
    Was aiming in my head for 4.30, but rolled in at over 5.10!
    Funning thing is I was sticking to those 4.30 times (on 3P website) until the bottom of Whernside and was 10 mins inside them at Ribblehead. But by Whernside summit I was behind schedule and at Hill Inn at 3.20, when should have been 3.10 and more importantly, still feeling fresh!.
    Certainly the conditions were tricky on that section (up and down Whernsnide) - constant hail and a pretty treacherous descent (which I ended up sliding down, like a human sledge!).
    The queue at the "pallets" will have contributed a bit but then it was only 5 minutes, which in a long race is not, for me, a great deal. Would be good if it could be sorted in future as I have never known it to be an issue here before and I do feel for those who just missed out at Hill Inn.
    As usual, I found Hill Inn to Ingleborough slow (50 plus mins). One of these days I will train properly on hills and actually enjoy that lovely run into Horton!
    Finally, huge thanks to Marshalls and organisers. This remains one of the best organised, atmospheric and brilliantly supported fell races in the calendar.
    You have to be careful of those 3P splits as they are based on average speed and the first half of the course is much faster than the second half.
    The best way to work out a schedule is to check the times and splits of runners from previous years.
    You'll find a mix, because some (like me) used to get around to Ribblehead fairly comfortably in 1:45 ish and then hang on for a 4:45.
    Others may only get through RH is 1:55 and yet finish in 4:30.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I spent 5 minutes in the queue and was not impressed by a well known female fell runner jumping the whole queue. managed to beat the Hill Inn cut off by 8 mins though but felt really sorry for those that were less than 5 minutes outside the cutoff getting pulled out. its a wonder we did not get a serious injury on the Whernside descent from people trying to make the time up in absolutely treacherous conditions.
    Having had some injuries and a lack of training was pleased to finish in 4.57 so my 9th finish in a row and managed 64 mins for Wray Fell Race yesterday.
    that said, its a fantastic race and as said by others the marshalls were brilliant as always and the race would not run with them so thank you.
    10th one next year, can I get a plaque for 21 races??? will mean I will be 71 for the 21st race!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    I spent 5 minutes in the queue and was not impressed by a well known female fell runner jumping the whole queue. managed to beat the Hill Inn cut off by 8 mins though but felt really sorry for those that were less than 5 minutes outside the cutoff getting pulled out. its a wonder we did not get a serious injury on the Whernside descent from people trying to make the time up in absolutely treacherous conditions.
    Having had some injuries and a lack of training was pleased to finish in 4.57 so my 9th finish in a row and managed 64 mins for Wray Fell Race yesterday.
    that said, its a fantastic race and as said by others the marshalls were brilliant as always and the race would not run with them so thank you.
    10th one next year, can I get a plaque for 21 races??? will mean I will be 71 for the 21st race!!!
    Firstly, well done on your run and for your patience. A club mate of mine who is new to this race and quite new to the sport witnessed what you did and told me that people in the queue said it was ok because of 'who she was'. That's not our sport and made her (and my) blood boil. I'm respectful of past achievements but it clearly does not warrant a heightened importance in races. THere's racing and there;s arrogance and rudeness.

I had a similar experience some years ago when i helped a heatstroke stricken runner and called for help to be told by the same person that they couldn't stop because they were competing for a category prize. Said runner was in the same club as the stricken runner and i wasn't (not that this should matter). I got help from others and eventually let my feelings be known, only to be led away by the elbow by a friend of mine who knew i was wasting my time. As i understand it, stricken runner changed clubs afterwards.

The point of posting this? I think it's to ask that we all call these people out at the time no matter how deluded they are about the rights given to them by their admittedly stunning running CV. It should and does mean nothing when we're racing.
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 03-05-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    I spent 5 minutes in the queue and was not impressed by a well known female fell runner jumping the whole queue.
    Karma will get them eventually.

I was less than impressed by the runner who ripped off their cow tape and discarded it at the side of the path on the descent from Ingleborough. Good job I was there to pick it up.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Yes I totally agree with you on this Mark. It is quite clear and concise in the wording under code of conduct on page 18 of the FRA Handbook.
    I.e FELL RUNNERS
    You should: Treat all others with the same respect and fairness that you wish to receive.
    I think that is a good starting point. However the runner in question may well not be a member of the FRA and be completely unaware of the fact.
    That's why I think that it is important for all competitors in the sport should be encouraged to join the FRA so that best practice and conduct can be maintained and perhaps be improved upon.
    Maybe it would be a good idea for the FRA to promote the organisation at some of the major events ?

Name and shame I say.Selfish people like this have no place in fell running.