Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilometres, Metres for races

Re: Kilometres, Metres for rac

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Like BGSEC says there is nothing cofusing about running a race refered to in metric measurements as opposed to imperial, take Dunnerdale for example 5 miles 1800ft or 8k 548 mtrs nothing confuising or upsetting there as far as iI can see (except in exceptinal cases) unless for some obscure reason somebody feels the need to convert the the numbers, I admit when we converted to decimal to sterling for a short period I did the conversion but quickly adapted.

On the subject of changing the Speed limits, road signs great idea and a great way of creating jobs for a short period of time.
    John, it's not exceptional, it's called Dyscalculia. Public knowledge of it is probably as poor as it was of dyslexia 30 years ago.

Obviously things will progress as they will regardless but it would be nice of there was some recognition that for a section of the public such changes are more difficult than for others, through no fault of their own.

Maybe listing them in the FRA calendar in both imperial and metric?? Failing that hubby says he will draw me up a conversion chart listing the converted distances against each other

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    John, it's not exceptional, it's called Dyscalculia. Public knowledge of it is probably as poor as it was of dyslexia 30 years ago.

Obviously things will progress as they will regardless but it would be nice of there was some recognition that for a section of the public such changes are more difficult than for others, through no fault of their own.

Maybe listing them in the FRA calendar in both imperial and metric?? Failing that hubby says he will draw me up a conversion chart listing the converted distances against each other
    10 Kilometres is roughly six miles. If you keep that in mind then it should all fall into place fairly naturally after a while .

Dyscalculia is a poorly reported upon phenomena, and there are always going to be reasons for and reasons against when looking at undergoing a process of conversion such as this.

However in this case it appears to be a considered, constructive and well thought out alteration and I reckon in a few months time the hullabaloo will have died down and everybody will be down to business as normal.

Does it have a bearing on actually running a fell race? How many fell races utilise mile markers for pacing like a road race would? I haven't seen any. Therefore it doesn't seem too relevant for me.

Progress is good. Especially if it brings us in line with the maps that we utilise to run the flipping races!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

height, distance - don't really mean that much in a fell race
    a general idea of how hard it will be
    maybe.
    they don't tell you the gradient of the climbs and descents or the terrain or the underfoot conditions

toughness is perhaps best reflected in the race record.

To be honest im abit gutted we are moving away from feet and miles.

Im of the generation who I suppose should be using meters and kilometers, yet I feel its natural to use feet and miles.
    I cant actually picture how far away a km is in my head, as aposed to a mile, and the same of the height.

But...as with the format of this forum changing....we will hate it at first, but eventually forget it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    10 Kilometres is roughly six miles. If you keep that in mind then it should all fall into place fairly naturally after a while .

Dyscalculia is a poorly reported upon phenomena, and there are always going to be reasons for and reasons against when looking at undergoing a process of conversion such as this.

However in this case it appears to be a considered, constructive and well thought out alteration and I reckon in a few months time the hullabaloo will have died down and everybody will be down to business as normal.

Does it have a bearing on actually running a fell race? How many fell races utilise mile markers for pacing like a road race would? I haven't seen any. Therefore it doesn't seem too relevant for me.

Progress is good. Especially if it brings us in line with the maps that we utilise to run the flipping races!
    Yep. I know 10k is 6 miles but once the distance increase then I start to go mind blank (I can't even do my times table very embarrassing). Don't even start me on conversion of ascent and descent figures.

The reason it becomes more difficult in terms of races is things like looking through the FRA calendar and deciding which races I want to do. I'll have an idea of the lower and upper limits of races length that I'm interested in and how much ascent the race has is also a factor. When it changes I will have to sit there with a conversion chart and check one off against another for every race so that I understand. It'll eventually click in but take much much longer than for most people because I will have to learn by rote, I can't do the maths in my head, not even an approximation.

I'll deal with it as others in my situation will. I haven't got to my age without learning to get round and cope with such problems but it is an added stress that's all. Given a choice I'd stay with how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Yep. I know 10k is 6 miles but once the distance increase then I start to go mind blank (I can't even do my times table very embarrassing). Don't even start me on conversion of ascent and descent figures.

The reason it becomes more difficult in terms of races is things like looking through the FRA calendar and deciding which races I want to do. I'll have an idea of the lower and upper limits of races length that I'm interested in and how much ascent the race has is also a factor. When it changes I will have to sit there with a conversion chart and check one off against another for every race so that I understand. It'll eventually click in but take much much longer than for most people because I will have to learn by rote, I can't do the maths in my head, not even an approximation.

I'll deal with it as others in my situation will. I haven't got to my age without learning to get round and cope with such problems but it is an added stress that's all. Given a choice I'd stay with how it is.
    I understand Flopsy, didn't mean to sound flippant, I just use the 10k - 6mile calculation as the basis for my own workings out. I hope you get to grips with it fairly easily and it's not too much of a stress. I just think it makes sense to base the races on the same measurments as the maps that most people use to run them.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

There you go flopsy problem solved
    Personally I hate all these 'modern' imperial measurements - bring back links, rods, poles, perches, chains and furlongs

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Personally I hate all these 'modern' imperial measurements - bring back links, rods, poles, perches, chains and furlongs
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Simpson
    My car gets 50 rods to the hogshead and that's the way i likes it!
    I agree with you both.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    The answer lies in this post:
    I didn't ask a question i made a statement of feeling.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

About time... Imperial is just nonsense that makes no sense.