Pete Mac

Re: Foel Fras race (north Wale

First set of pictures are up via

www.teamdolly.co.uk

More to come

Well done all !

Pete

Well done Peter! It was a bit warm up there!!

Great pics Pete. I liked the ones showing the look on Hairylegs' face as he was approaching the top of Foel Fras. The very picture of agony!

I was sorry I had to miss the race. I made up for it a bit today by running the course with my dogs. Just as warm, but we got a soaking from the rain and hail to cool us down.

Wow it was hot felt like s*** at the top of Drum.The time I got to Foel Fras I had cramp in both calfs my face is a true picture of pain LOL.

Video by Pete Douglas now on-line

http://www.teamdolly.co.uk/

or direct

http://www.prdouglas.co.uk/

Cheers

Pete Mac

Foel Fras 12th June

I'm in North Wales on the 12th of June for a family 50th birthday celebration and was thinking of taking in a fell run if possible. What's this race like? Is the navigation straightforward?

Many thanks

SLoW

Re: Foel Fras 12th June

Quote Originally Posted by SouthLondonWelshman View Post
    I'm in North Wales on the 12th of June for a family 50th birthday celebration and was thinking of taking in a fell run if possible. What's this race like? Is the navigation straightforward?

Many thanks

SLoW
    I havent done the new course but its only got the addition of Moel Winion at the end(i think)quite a bit of road to begin with then a broad track to the summit of Drum a steep climb to Foel Fras then the Nav can get a bit tricky from then on if the clag is down(after all this is the Carneddau)quite a few got lost on it last year or the year before,and these were local runners,if its clear ,no probs.quite a tough race as the running surface from Foel Fras is a lot slower going than before then which is basiclly road and good track

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Has anyone got a map of the route or grid refs?

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I havent done the new course but its only got the addition of Moel Winion at the end(i think)quite a bit of road to begin with then a broad track to the summit of Drum a steep climb to Foel Fras then the Nav can get a bit tricky from then on if the clag is down(after all this is the Carneddau)quite a few got lost on it last year or the year before,and these were local runners,if its clear ,no probs.quite a tough race as the running surface from Foel Fras is a lot slower going than before then which is basiclly road and good track
    A few were out recceing at the weekend, and one of them again missed the turn off in the clag at Garnedd Uchaf. Garnedd Uchaf is now a check point, which it wasn't in the past, so it forces you on quite a different line from Foel Fras onwards.

It's a nice run up, good pre Snowdon run, I'm away so won't do this.

We ran it as the cloud lifted later on Sunday, it's fairly straight forwards to Uchaf, and then it's a very faint series of trod which traverses the hillside to pass left of the Beras. From the Beras to the bwlch before Wnion it's a good track.

There seems a bit of route choice to get up Wnion, we went more direct from the bwlch.

Coming off Wnion, we went too far North, think we should have cut down to the sheep fold, like in the Moel Wnion race.

I think its a better race than the old route, more of a natural circuit.