Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

orthotics

who uses them ? does anyone use them ? have they made a big difference to anyone that over pronates. Was thinking of sticking some in T fell shoes.

Re: orthotics

I wouldn't bother, not in fell shoes. I wear them in my road shoes, and they've helped with my achilles trouble, but I think they're a waste of time in fell shoes. I did try, but struggled to find a pair of shoes that would take them - my orthotics are quite broad. i did manage to get them to fit in RX Terrains, but even then I found they had a tendency to role about inside the shoe on rough ground, making my feet less, rather than more, stable.

In the end I talked to a couple of podiatrist about it, both of whom said not to bother. The logic is that orthotics are designed to correct problems in your normal gait cyle, and need a stable platform to work properly. That's fine on road, but on the hills your feet are placed into all kinds of odd positions by the terrain, so your normal gait cylce is disrupted, For the same reason, fell shoes don't create a stable platform for the orthotics to work on.

I stopped using them off road a couple of years ago, with no noticeable effect. As I said, I still use them in my road shoes and think they help.

i was told the same fell shoes and orthotics don't mix.

also does anyone know where i can get a set made up and some contact details my last set arn't very good and i can no longer get hold of the poditrist who did them?

Thats more or less what i thought my assic 2210 handle my pronation on the road fine. Think my tendonitis was due to a bad fall not my shoes.
    cheers for that, i know people that have paid upto 160 puid for them

Have you checked the fra magazine they have a few ads in there for physios not sure about paediatrists though

Quote Originally Posted by cobbydale View Post
    Thats more or less what i thought my assic 2210 handle my pronation on the road fine. Think my tendonitis was due to a bad fall not my shoes.
    cheers for that, i know people that have paid upto 160 puid for them
    they can set you back a lot more than 160 try 500.

bloody Nora thats 8 pairs of fell shoes, for a bit of foam

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    i was told the same fell shoes and orthotics don't mix.

also does anyone know where i can get a set made up and some contact details my last set arn't very good and i can no longer get hold of the poditrist who did them?

I can heartily recommend Andrew Stanley at the Rebound Clinic in Settle. 01729 825900. They have a website so if you 'Google' the clinic you could take a look.

You know the costs from the outset as a 'no more than'. I paid £ 250.00 for mine, which included full gait assesment, recording and analysis on DVD, manufacture of while you wait temporary orthotics, consultations for any concerns that I had with the temporary ones and any adjustments, casting and manufacture of the 'proper' orthotics and consultations afterwards 'cos I'm a big worrying wuss.

My calves had been tearing from time to time (12 times in two and a half years) caused by over-pronation, that's now stopped.

I have very bad feet! Wear superfeet off the shelf orthotics in Inov8 fell and trail shoes - couldn't manage without.

Normally I've just got some new custom orthotics from the podiatrist at Rochdale Infirmary having reached her via a podiatric surgeon. She said that they cost the NHS £90 per pair and that doesn't include her costs etc.

I think that the comments about fell are generally correct, but most races have some path, trail that is reasonably flat and where orthotics will help.

A key problem i have found with wearing orthotics offroad is stability as mine are quite severe and I have difficulty on uneven ground with my feet slipping sideways etc.
    Since I race on the XC and flat I have a less severe pair for use in spikes but I don't want to risk using these for longer distances so I have to put up with it.
    Overall I think they have been beneficial on the roads to me since the injuries I had before them have not re-occured but they aren't appropriate all the time. That is something that I just have to live with.