Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

Re: Orthotics - do they work?

I wear them, as was having really bad problems before & they've been brill. I have custom made ones from my podiatrist. I couldn't run barefoot, as I find walking too uncomfy

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Is an orthotist the same as a podiatrist? I googled orthotists in Sheffield and got the same guy up I went to see last week. Yes im wearing the inserts in all shoes now. (sandles are a no-go area)
    The podiastrist fella suggested I have a pair of custom made inserts as I over pronate by 20% apparantly - which probably has caused all this. These are expensive - even though I can claim some back through westfield.

Mr B - I wondered about running shoes that are more suitable - but how do you get on with fell shoes?
    I have orthotics made to measure free from the NHS, was referred by my GP. Seeing the orthoticist always involves a wait, but allowing for that, I can ask for a re-assessment or refurbishment any time I feel I need them. I have seen several podiatrists privately and haven't trusted any of them. It's great to feel my NHS chap has no financial incentive in reccomending orthotics (he even wears them himself).
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I have orthotics made to measure free from the NHS, was referred by my GP. Seeing the orthoticist always involves a wait, but allowing for that, I can ask for a re-assessment or refurbishment any time I feel I need them. I have seen several podiatrists privately and haven't trusted any of them. It's great to feel my NHS chap has no financial incentive in reccomending orthotics (he even wears them himself).
    Ar but he does have an incentive, keeping his job!

It must also be great to know that your NHS chap had no incentive to see you quickly either, which is why you had to wait in a nice long queue.

Thats all.

First, Orthotists & Podiatrist are not the same. A Podiatrist is only qualified to assess & treat your feet & legs below the knee. An Orthotist assess & treats the whole body, looking at keeping the body in good alignment with the use of braces and splints. Foot orthotics, surgical shoes and compression hosiery are all part of the remit in addition to spinal supports, calipers etc.. An Orthotist therefore looks at how one part of the body affects the other. 'The leg bones connected to the thigh bones' etc..........
    Most Orthotists are not employed by the NHS but by the company contracted to a particular hospital trust to supply their orthotics. It is common practice to be able to self refer, after your initial GP or consultant referral, for more of the same orthotics when the original/s have worn out, of have been outgrown in the case of children. Nothing to do with keeping their job!
    There are so few qualified orthotists around the country that waiting lists are frequently long. Also, orthotics is the 'Cinderella' service of the NHS usually underfunded.
    What else can I answer for you??

Orthotics and fell shoes

Does anyone out there have experience using orthotics in fell shoes? I am finding that my Inov8 Mudclaw 330's don't have enough room- my foot sits too high resulting in heel slippage and blisters at the back. Is there anyone else who has found a good grippy fell shoe that works well with orthotics?

Re: Orthotics and off road sho

Some people like me also have legs that are quite considerably different in length...orthotics are just about the only solution for that and they do help, even on the fells where the surface is less even...you nearly always end up running some roads and flatter trails in a run and that's where some of us particularly suffer without orthotics

Re: Orthotics and fell shoes

Or here, here, here, here or here.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by nobbut a lad View Post
    Or here, here, here, here or here.

I have no problem just buy bigger shoes
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Re: Orthotics and off road sho

My main point is that I feel a lot of people who are otherwise okay are being sold orthotics, when the underlying problem could be a weak foot, caused by years of running in shoes with far too much support. This was my own personal experience and that of others I know. Orthotics didn't help me and as I said before just contributed to a run/injury/run cycle. I tried two types, gators and superfeet, which I know are not custom, but the physio said this would be okay.

I realise that there are many people like yourself anicholas, who have real physical differences, which can't be corrected with any amount of rehab strength training and alignment. You could take this to an obvious conclusion and say how technology has helped many amputee runners for example, I am really not against anything that helps people get out and run.

I wear orthotics in my road running shoes and have found that I don't need them in my fell shoes. I have found the same problem as yourself with the fit but I thought that the even terrain and the (much) shorter distance may solve the problem of why I had orthotics in the first place and I raced without them with no problem.

I overpronate in a road shoe but there's a lot more for my legs to be thinking about in a fell situation and the problem dosn't arise. Try it out and see? I put the inserts back in on the road. It's ok so far.