Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

Re: orthotics

I have just spent 2.5 hours with the physio and he explained the bio-mechanics of the running gait amongst other things. Whilst the injury I have should sort itself out in a few weeks, the underlying causes may well be down to my gait being out of alignment thus forcing ligiments and tendons to work harder/differently to how they are designed to thus promoting injury. I am going back in a couple of weeks for some custom orthotics and linked with core stability excercises and stretching and a sensible training program I should stand a better chance of avoiding future injuries.

Does anyone know about the possibilities of more things going wrong if you use orthotics? My physio recomended an off the shelf pair (gaitors I think) they're only half length and wouldn't fit in any of my shoes properly. I questioned him about the fact that my road shoes are designed to control pronation with different grades of rubber etc, he just looked at me blankly and told me it would be okay.

What do you think? It seems that technology in the shoes these days helps a lot. Would you need a neutral road shoe if you wanted to use insoles? With the constant change in terrain on the fells does it really make a difference to have insoles?

For full length custom orthotics you would have to take the existing insole out and replace with the orthotic. I believe the rubber compound in the heel on an overpronating shoe is harder on the outer edge where a shoe for neutral runners has a more even hardness so therefore it would make sense to still purchase an overpronating shoe even if you replace the insole. Half length orthotics are mainly for use in normal shoes.
    The point about running on uneven ground is one I wondered about but I think all things considered it would be better to use them than not as you are not striking angled ground every step, especially on boggy ground.
    The guy I am going back to see next week is a 'leading light' in orthotics and lectures part time at universities on their benefits. I will get his take on useage on rough ground.

orthotics are pretty controversial, with no evidence that they are of much use.

Pronation is pretty useful, but if you do pronate excessivley (and this is causing your problem) you need to find out why (and where in the foot you lose control, its not always the back of the foot). for example you could pronate because your calf is tight and your ankle has nowhere to go, or due to your hip control, or due to having no pelvic control, or due to your overusing one side of your body, or maybe its the structural nature of your foot, or your big toe is stiff, maybe you have a tight big toe flexor, or just a weak ankle inverters, etc etc etc................. its not as simple as "i pronate, therefore i need orthotics"

from my experience a well thought through, well made and well designed orthotic can be useful for some people. and for others an off the shelf orthotic may be great while you work on some hip and pelvic control, then when hip control is good bring them out of the orthotic and they don't pronate any more, for others just stretch whats tight, and for a few tell them to weight bare evenly and bingo they pronate less......... (and occassionaly mobalise a joint in the back and you realise its a neurodynamic problem)

so i think what i'm trying to say is that everyone is different and there is no one answer fits all, but good luck trying to find it!
    Last edited by RVN; 09-01-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RVN View Post
    so i think what i'm trying to say is that everyone is different and there is no one answer fits all, but good luck trying to find it!
    completely agree!! And you can see exactly that from this thread. it's just a shame it costs so much to do the finding out

Ady who are you seeing for your orthotics, is it Barry Richards?

I've just got my orthotics back and they are a lot better, he's shaved loads of them now so there not as 'bulky' so going to wear them in every day shoes for a week to see how I get on with them and then try them on a run, so fingers crossed!

I am seeing Nick Dinsdale in Clitheroe. I have known about him for a number of years, he has quite an impressive track record. He is currently assisting a leading Swiss manufacturer of orthotics with product development. I'm not saying that the orthotics are going to be a fix all but the way he has explained a lot of things makes more sense then any physio I have seen.

Keep us up to date how you get on!

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Thats excellent news paulo.

I will try and keep at it.

The orthotics weren't right though, we thought that at the time of fitting, the left one was fine but the right didn't feel good.

What shoes do you use the orthotics with?
    As the weeks passed whilst trying to get the orthotics right, all the sizing and stuff. Where you paying to see him as well. I have a feeling this could get expensive.

£35 initial physio
    £45 Gait analysis
    £180 Orthotics
    £35 quid to see if they work.
    £35 to confirm they did not work.
    £35 to retest them
    £35 for more physio.

Am I being a cynic about the clinic

Jamie

You got it wrong Jamie

£35 initial physio