Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

Re: orthotics

Thats not bad at all.

Im only in for Gait test at the minute, Its defo worth having done.

Typical me this, the one thing Im reasonably good at and enjoy I cant even do properly and in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Thats not bad at all.

Im only in for Gait test at the minute, Its defo worth having done.

Typical me this, the one thing Im reasonably good at and enjoy I cant even do properly and in a straight line.
    Join the club mate

whats wrong with nhs , and its free ???

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    whats wrong with nhs , and its free ???
    Lilactime, been waiting since September for nhs appt. Phoned yesterday and told I was on list, likely to be end Feb/ beginning March. I have orthoses from Graham Read. They haven't made pf go away, but I can run.

I got 4 hours + orthotics for £130. Top orthotics geezer. Much more stability, let's see if it leads to an injury free race winning future...........

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Lilactime, been waiting since September for nhs appt. Phoned yesterday and told I was on list, likely to be end Feb/ beginning March. I have orthoses from Graham Read. They haven't made pf go away, but I can run.
    fair enough if you cant afford to wait . ive got pf and my nhs physio has told me off the shelf superfeet are ideal for me , its the stretching and ultrasound that seems to be helping my pf , also strict instructions not to run until it is completely clear . ive just got to accept the fact i probly wont be running for a while yet .

I've had various types of orthotics for over 20 years now, the first ones were a bit of a help, but made from some rigid plastic stuff . Now I get foam half foot ones from the NHS, lucky to live near an Orthopaedic hospital. They totally revolutionised my life, when I got good foam ones, after I had resigned myself to constant knee pain and early onset arthritis!

Anyway, Be wary of control shoes and orthotics as you'll be doing the job twice, I got some adidas control trainers and they killed the outside of my arch. I now use Asics 1100s. I know I can't use offroad trainers with my orthoses though, as I need the sponginess to replace what my foot isn't doing. Are these superfeet any good?

Scania Girl, are you saying that the orthotics got rid of the knee pain. Was the early on set arthritis
    diagnosed ?
    or just you being worried about it ?

Also I take it you only use them in your road shoes.

Sorry about the questions,just starting with knee pain. I am considering orthotics after a podiatrists recommendation. Although he says he cant be sure that they will work.

Thanks
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by scaniagirl View Post
    Are these superfeet any good?
    Hi Scaniagirl

I've mentioned earlier that I use to sell Superfeet and yes they are good
    BUT..they won't cure all problems and and might not cure yours, I would say go to a reputable shop that is trained in fitting them properly ask if you can take a pair for your Podiatrist to look at if you are not sure. A good shop shouldn't have a problem with this. (obviously do not use them and keep the box/reciept etc)

DO NOT buy a pair off the shelf with out someone sizing them up for you.
    Stand on them in the shop and make sure the instep is where you need support and not too far back. They are supposed to be cut down .

If you PM me your location I'll try and find a shop that sells them locally.

Any other forumites used them and what did they think?
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 06-02-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added a bit on

Yep I use green superfeet in fell and trail shoes. I'm under a hospital consultant for arthritus in big toe joints and have other associated problems. Couldn't run without them!

In ordinary shoes I have custom orthotics which I get from a hospital podiatrist free of charge. Podiatrist and surgeon think that superfeet are good for me. However as mentioned above everyone has a different problem.

Run about 25 miles per week mainly off road and also crosstrain at the gym to reduce impact. Will need surgery eventually, but the consultant is doing everything to help delay this.