Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

Re: Orthotics - do they work?

Agree with Twister although we can not all be cured with a change of running technique as some of the others have indicated.

Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE then see if you still think you need orthotics or a change in running style.

For the record I tried orthotics running and they caused me more problems. A change in style has helped more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    If your orthotics work then your physio has done you a favour and themselves out of a regular client. I'm glad I took my physios advice and ended up with orthotics; I've easily saved the cost of them by not getting recurring calf problems AND I'm able to run. The only person who has lost out is my physio!
    Yes I agree johnmc. My physio referred me to a very experienced podiatrist and commented on the fact that he was doing himself out of a lot of work! He wasn't wrong - I literally could not run half a mile without being in agony and was able to run straight away, the day I first put my orthotics in my running shoes.

I have been intrigued with all the talk about barefoot running etc. It's something I would be interested in trying, but as someone said to me - why? You have orthotics and you can run, barefoot running would inevitable involve a lot of hard work and you may end up worse off... Fair point!

So for me, orthotics get a big thumbs up - that said, they aren't for everyone, some people find no improvement or worse. I guess our physical make up is pretty unique and what works for one does not work another.

Hi,

I have been having problems on and off for about four years now. Don't think it was a change of shoes that started it. First phyiso I saw about 31/2 years ago suggested sciatica and had treatment for a long while, which did erase the problem for a while but this could have been the rest/stretching/massage etc'. Problems came back when starting competing again. Been off running more than on ever since.

Seeing a different physio now who has found that the back of my knee is tight (amongst other things) and thinks that the poplteus muscle may be pressing on the vascular supply - going to GP to get this looked at. Been having manipulation, massage and doing stretching etc. The physio also suggested the podiatrist, who works in co with him.

I have ordered orthotics - I over pronate slightly and there is very little bend between the lower part of my shins/top of feet which can not be resolved by massage/manipulation etc. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinegar Hill View Post
    Hi,

I have been having problems on and off for about four years now. Don't think it was a change of shoes that started it. First phyiso I saw about 31/2 years ago suggested sciatica and had treatment for a long while, which did erase the problem for a while but this could have been the rest/stretching/massage etc'. Problems came back when starting competing again. Been off running more than on ever since.

Seeing a different physio now who has found that the back of my knee is tight (amongst other things) and thinks that the poplteus muscle may be pressing on the vascular supply - going to GP to get this looked at. Been having manipulation, massage and doing stretching etc. The physio also suggested the podiatrist, who works in co with him.

I have ordered orthotics - I over pronate slightly and there is very little bend between the lower part of my shins/top of feet which can not be resolved by massage/manipulation etc. Fingers crossed.
    Do you heel strike ? If so check the link to my earlier post. I've been reading alot about running style and have changed mine accordingly.

Hi,

I do heel strike - 'thought everyone did. The video/barefoot concept looks interesting. I will continue with the physio now and try the orthotics when I recieve them. If these don't work I will give bare foot running a go.

I have used orthotics for 20 years, foot surgery cured the worst of it but i know when my orthotics are starting to wear as i suffer knee pain, and if i leave it long enough - shin splints, hip and back pain. I wear them in all foot wear and stick them in my sandles with velcro.

They can be expensive but no orthotics means no running for me.

Hi,

Thanks again for all the replies. Got my orthotics now - am busy getting used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinegar Hill View Post
    Hi,

If these don't work I will give bare foot running a go.
    Don't think of it as one or the other, but all elements of the solution. Stretch, build your strength, bare foot run and use orthotics. I think cycling might have a part to play as well.

Yes, they do work for some people, and I am one of them.

I have the flattest feet my physio and podiatrist have ever seen; I have the kind of footrpint that the other kids used to laugh at when I got out of the swimming pool.

I do some barefoot running to help strengthen my arch, but no amount of this will cause my arch to lift to a "normal" position.

The orthotics help do that.

I wear them in all my shoes, and I don't run on the roads if I can avoid it. If I don't wear them, my patellar tendons rapidly become inflamed.

So I wear them and they keep me running.

Stu's correct; various methods need to be used to keep problems at bay.

If one thing only works, you are very lucky.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

I'm with Morgan on this, same issues re flat feet. The regular calf/knee injuries I always seemed to get on building up my mileage have disappeared since I changed from Walshes to my Speedcross, into which I can put my orthotics. Expensive but good value to my mind.
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.