Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Re: Which Orthotics

Manhar, I know you said you were at a sports injury clinic but did the therapist think your 'flat feet' were associated with your injury, or just the fact you have flat feet. I work with children which is quite different from adults but I would not treat asymptomatic flat feet i.e. not causing any problems (as I said, this is the general approach for children, but not wholly sure about adults).

onwards and upwards

Gaz

Gaz

its the general approach for adults too

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

cheers d2, thought it might have been but didn't want any adult colleagues shouting me down

Do you have any injury problems associated with flat feet? If not then leave well alone. Orthotics are a life sentence (and at well over £100 every year or two a bloody expensive one in my case).
    And certainly don't risk an off the shelf pair if you think you do need some.

(edit - I'd also echo the comment above about off road stability and orthotics - they make it extremely "interesting" when things get uneven!)
    Last edited by Track Fairy; 27-03-2007 at 04:29 PM.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    Do you have any injury problems associated with flat feet? If not then leave well alone.
    Quite agree. If you aren't experiencing any problem then why bother? If it ain't broke....

I went to the sports clinic with what I thought was a hip problem but it transpires that I had tight quad muscles - funnily enough they don't seem too bad this week. On reflection I'm not sure if being flat footed is the cause of tightness further up the legs, it's just that they noticed I had flat feet.

Are the 2 related ? Don't get me wrong I only start to feel a tightness after about 2.5 hrs of running so that may be down to not being as fit as I once was - perhaps I should quit these long races now.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    I went to the sports clinic with what I thought was a hip problem but it transpires that I had tight quad muscles - funnily enough they don't seem too bad this week. On reflection I'm not sure if being flat footed is the cause of tightness further up the legs, it's just that they noticed I had flat feet.

Are the 2 related ? Don't get me wrong I only start to feel a tightness after about 2.5 hrs of running so that may be down to not being as fit as I once was - perhaps I should quit these long races now.
    Manhar

if you are flat footed or you pronate then this can cause knee-hips or back problems but not always, this is why you need to have your gait checked.

Here's someone who wore orthotics for 5 years, stopped and now has been told to wear them again. Firstly, if you have flat feet but aren't getting injured don't do anything. Secondly if you are and the physio says its your gait see a proper podiatrist who will analyse your gait and if necessary make custom fitted orthotics. Thirdly orthotics are close to useless for fell running...why...because the constantly changing camber and steep uphill and downhill means you rarely land on your heel which is how orthotics are designed to work and you aren't repeating the same foot strike over and over resulting in 'over use' injuries.

I lived for 3 years in Edale and 90% of my running was fell running so I stopped wearing them apart from when I ran on the road. I went 3 years with just a couple of injuries. Now I'm down south my off road running is much less steep so I'm repeating the same foot strike over and over again and I have got calf problems. Saw the women who runs the EIS physio clinic at Bisham Abbey and as soon as she looked at my stance she spotted the problem and has advised me to run in orthotics again.

Manhar I'm a serious user of orthotics rather than being qualified. In fell shoes I use green superfeet which are full length and great in inov8s in place of their own footbed - not too built up.

If you are suffering problems that might help until you get to see an expert. I've got prescription orthotics but don't wear them in my fell shoes, the podiatrist knows what I am doing.

Don't know about Salford but Huddersfield Uni require a GP referral.

[QUOTE=wycoller;23272]Manhar I'm a serious user of orthotics rather than being qualified. In fell shoes I use green superfeet which are full length and great in inov8s in place of their own footbed - not too built up.

If you are suffering problems that might help until you get to see an expert. I've got prescription orthotics but don't wear them in my fell shoes, the podiatrist knows what I am doing.

QUOTE]

I used to be stockist of super feet and they are very good but...
    1) Consult an expert first
    2) If you do go for superfeet make sure you are measured for the correct size NOT the size of your foot. It is important thar the arch support is in the correct area.
    3) If volume is an issue look at Blue superfeet as they are lower profile.

I have a stable foot with a high instep and I use super feet in my walking boots.