Thread: Orthotics and fell shoes

undercover moderator

Re: Which Orthotics

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    3) If volume is an issue
    I would want really quiet ones.

Manhar,

I personally would be loath to go down the orthotics route just yet. They are a quick fix (and its very frustrating to go to a physio and be told to do weeks of boring exercises) but like I said above, orthotics are something that you may end up needing for the rest of your life and may lead to further problems. If this is the first problem you are having (and it only crops up after running for a long time) there could be a whole range of problems that could be causing it (fitness for one!) I'd advise that you make sure you exhaust every other line of enquiry first before looking at orthotics seriously.

Thumbs up Re: Which Orthotics

Cheers folks

I'll hold fire on going down the Orthotics route. Like I've said it's only a problem on long runs so the issue may be something else.

Manhar, track fairy is righ! don't get them unless you really do need them.

reason
    1. can cost up to £500 a year!
    2. can take months to get used to them.
    3. can cause more problems as the rest of your body adjusts to them.
    4. no use for running on the fells with, your ankles twist that much and you
    feet are hardly flat when running.
    5. you wouldn't need to alter your shoes to wear them.

and

i have had more injurys with them, than without them.
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Some people say othotics are right thing, others will disagree. Basicially, if you have an inefficient style, got leg lenght difference or become injured very easly, then orthotics are the thing for you. Otherwise, don't bother. I've worn othotics for five years and never had any injury problems. Recently, i decided to get a new pair (old ones wore out) from a new podistrist. she issues me a pair which weren't correct. i've had to go back twice now to get them corrected, which is becomng very frustrating- but when you've paid £170- you want to make sure they're correct.
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

For what it's worth, after a lifetime injury free, I developed a serious case of plantar fasciitis about six months ago (largely due to running in worn out shoes that I couldn't afford to replace. There's a salutary lesson there, to be sure.) For the first couple of weeks, I was really in considerable pain and, particularly first thing in the morning, more or less unable to move my foot/heel/ankle freely at all. The GP was little help, and waiting heaven-knows-how-long for a referral to do something about it wasn't, given the pain, really an option. The cost of a private podiatrist plus custom orthotics...well, it wasn't going to happen. So I'm afraid I went down the off-the-shelf at Boots route.

I have to say, the improvement was vast and immediate. The bulk of the pain cleared up within 24-48 hours and while even now, around 6 months later, things are still not back to 100%, they are close enough (maybe 90%) that I can live with the status quo. Perhaps a podiatrist and custom jobs would solve the problem completely...I live in hope.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that for those fiscally challenged if nothing else, the orthotics you buy at the chemist are not as bad as this thread makes them sound, at least in my experience. They may not solve all your problems, but they can keep you running.

Orthotics - Leeds area

I have been wearing orthotics for around 18 months now and I have not had any calf injuries in that time.

However they went missing along with my running shoes when my car was stolen recently. I could get them from the same place (Settle) but I thought I might try somewhere a bit more local to the Leeds area.

The main problem is that I can only get to the Settle clinic on a Saturday and they were only half-length and I would much prefer full-length ones

Any suggestions please

Re: Orthotics - Leeds area

I wish I could help you there johnnybike but I'm based nr Scunthorpe! I use a company called Physiomed when my patients are in need of Orthotics, a common one I order is the full length 'pro step' for low arch pronating feet.

Their website add is www.physio-med.com

Good luck.
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

I'd use the same place. If you are lucky they might still have the molds so should be easy

Actually that is the problem Detritus21. He broke the mould last time (he won't charge me for a new one). So that means 2 trips to Settle, on Saturdays as I cannot get there through the week. He only opens one Saturday a month as well.

I did buy some online which are OK but I have now manged to get a cheque from the insurance company (payable to the Settle company) to cover everything (gait analysis, mould, consultation etc) when I really only need to pay for the inserts themselves.