Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Wrekin Wrecker

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    It's when they leave you bereft of skin that they become a problem! Still got the scars......

Results are on the Mercia web site.
    1.22 and top half of the field so quite pleased with that.

Mr Wrekin road runner with no kit did finish behind me and apparently not DSQd. Make of that what you will.

I'm not pointing any fingers at the organisers... they were obviously very busy, there was a traffic-jam of people registering right up to the last minute, and they probably just didn't notice it.

p.s. At least three of their club didn't have kit, quite possibly more.

Saw the results. In a mirror image of the Breidden Hills race, I managed to improve my time, but the winner's time was much improved on last year, so my percentage points for the series will actually go down! Was hoping to improve my position after finishing 20th in the series last year. Have to pull out a big performance at LMV, although got XC the day before so that will be a big ask!

Nearly Wrecker time again. Does anyone know if the Shropshire Winter Hills Series is being run this year? I fancy entering but there was no tick box on Breidden Hills race so presumably that wasn't a counter at least.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

the series runs every year, Pete.
    This years races are: Breiddin Hills, Wrekin Wrecker, Cardington Cracker, Titterstone Clee, Long Mynd Valleys, Cardingmill Canter and Wrekin Fell. No need to tick anything, the Series Race Wizzard will update the results....which will be on the Mercia website or the Shropshire Fell Running Facebook page.

Hopefully see you out at one of the races: I'm not Wrecking, but hopefully Crackering.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Cheers Dave. I seem to remember having to tick a box on the entry form before.
    I did Breidden and I'll be wrecking, cantering, and most likely crackering. LMVs is a maybe too.

See you around. 👍

Wrekin Wrecker completed this morning on a foggy but not too cold day. A couple of minutes slower than usual largely due to the underfoot conditions being so wet and slippery. The thick fog on the final descent didn't help much either but finished strongly and made up a couple of places I'd lost on the final climb. Great race organisation and fantastic marshalls as always.

Big news was the proposal to run it in reverse next year thus making it easier for the marshalls currently in the last few miles to make it back before the chips run out! 😁
    I've done it a couple of times in that direction as a training run and it is a completely different beast. There is quite a run in to the first big climb and the second big climb is tough immediately followed by the descent of the goaty - not for the faint hearted.

So glad I made the effort and travelled to Shropshire for today's Wrekin Wrecker. It certainly "does what it says on the tin". I thoroughly enjoyed a great race, great organisation, great venue and a great chip buttie! Managed to drag myself around in 1.20 to finish 38th and 1st V60. Quite happy with that.

Hopefully will be back next year with a few more in tow.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 24-11-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Great stuff both...

I did notice you finish comfortably in the top half Pete.... Llani I don’t know your name so didn’t look out for you... sorry to miss it today...

The proposal to run it in reverse had me sighing with relief at the thought of not doing those two nasty descents... then I remembered about having to descend Goaty.... that will be interesting for sure...!

descent of the goaty

*shudders*
    ....it's all downhill from here.