Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble on Hobson Moor...

Trouble on Hobson Moor...

My mate and I encountered a troublesome gamekeeper tonight. I was parked at the end of Brushes Road by Walkerwood Reservoir, Stalybridge, I left my car in the usual place and set off on my run.

Whilst I was doing my reps my mate turned up a bit late and parked next to my car only to be informed he was on 'private land' and that if I wasn't back in an hour my car would be towed away.

My friend sent me a txt I finished my reps and ran back. The gamekeeper in question Pete Ross then proceeded to tell me I was parked on private land (there are no signs stating this anywhere) and that by running on the moor in the dark I was breaking the law!

He said: "Foot paths are for walking not sporting activity. You're disturbing the grouse and breaking the law. I thought you were a poacher and was about to have your car towed away."

So if you run on Hobson Moor be warned!!!!
    Last edited by Dynamo Dan; 15-11-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Re: Trouble on Hobson Moor...

Sounds like he needs to brush up on his law as I doubt he'll find anything saying runners aren't allowed on footpaths (where you have a legally protected right to travel on foot) or open access land!!
    Last edited by Multiterrainer; 15-11-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added extra in brackets

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Look at the definitive map which is held by the local authority, this will tell you all you need to know about the bit you were parked on and the bit you were running on.

Oddly, activities on right to roam land are restricted soley to walking. Picnicing, running, orienteering and anything else you might do are actually banned but i've never met a keeper who'll enforce that. When i've met them in the past i've been looking for mines (orienteering strictly) and they're always keen to know what you're up to, the last one i bumped into was cool and gave me a lift back in the Landy.
    Not entirely true mr b -

Quote Originally Posted by CROW ACT 2000
    2 Rights of public in relation to access land. E+W
    (1)Any person is entitled by virtue of this subsection to enter and remain on any access land for the purposes of open-air recreation, if and so long as—
    (a)he does so without breaking or damaging any wall, fence, hedge, stile or gate, and
    (b)he observes the general restrictions in Schedule 2 and any other restrictions imposed in relation to the land under Chapter II.
    Schedule 2 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/schedule/2 - nothing about running (or after-dark activities!)

Awesome, I live minutes from said place and can get there on one path only. I am going to make it my aim this week to bump in to the game keeper. Just hoping his gun isn't loaded!!!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Try here

and if you look on the CROW page for natural england Here it specifically states that you can run (amongst other things) on crow access land. Hope that's helpful

Cheers for the replies everyone. I'm going to park a bit further up just to make life easier but I'm definitely not going to stop running up Hobson Moor. He was alright with me but he was very rude to my mate. There's no need for it especially if the signage is non-existent.

He was also moaning about me running up there on my own, never mind the fact I carry full kit, a phone, people know where I am and Hobson Moor is very close to civilisation.

I suppose I should be touched by his concern!!

It could seem abit obsessive, but for abit of peace of mind you could print off the section of the CROW act etc as posted above and carry it in a plastic wallet in your bumbag.

That way atleast you have the evidence in writing?

What a tosser. I'll be heading up there soon with me headtorch.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

A farmer up here has put a sign up on a public footpath saying 'No running'. He's sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    What a tosser. I'll be heading up there soon with me headtorch.
    If he says: "You're disturbing nesting grouse!" Make sure you tell him who you are!!!