Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best show and fell race!

Red face The best show and fell race!

Hi,
    This is my first post and i wanted some advice.
    I wanted to book a week or so off work next year to travel somewhere to a see a good show and do a good fell race at the same time. We have just got a border collie and live in south wales, so were hoping to go up to the lakes or yorkshire next summer?
    Anyone been to or know of good shows with fell races?????????
    Much appreciated.
    MM

Re: The best show and fell rac

Reeth and Wasdale are good shows and both have cracking races.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Alternatively, Gargrave has an easy race and a good show; or if you're feeling ambitious and have an umbrella, the Dale Head race goes from Borrowdale Show but you will be needing navigation skills for that one.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Grasmere, Kilnsey? Both very extensive shows with great fell races.

If you're after something a bit closer to home and more traditional, Shutlingsloe is very good and the fete has been described as "like stepping back in time".

Edale country day and Lantern Pike/Hayfield sheepdog trials are also great days out with cracking races.

You beat me to it Noel, I was going to say Edale would be good for a long weekend in the peaks. Excellent race, with an outstanding final descent too.

no question - august bank holiday, come to the yorkshire dales you can attend a show and do a race a day for about 7 days.. burnsall (wharfedale) and malham (airedale) on the saturday, halton gill (littondale) on the sunday, hebden sports(ooh I dont know which dale that counts as!) on the monday, kilnsey (wharfedale) on the tuesday, muker (swaledale) on the wednesday! dont worry about too much mileage - all these races make a total mileage of about 6miles! ps reeth is sometimes on the thursday is it? - or is it the thursday before!
    Last edited by Daleside; 17-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks all, some good stuff for me to look into, especially as i didnt know about many of these shows/races, appreciate the info and keep it coming, you can never do too many fell races, can you?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    no question - august bank holiday, come to the yorkshire dales you can attend a show and do a race a day for about 7 days.. burnsall (wharfedale) and malham (airedale) on the saturday, halton gill (littondale) on the sunday, hebden sports(ooh I dont know which dale that counts as!) on the monday, kilnsey (wharfedale) on the tuesday, muker (swaledale) on the wednesday! dont worry about too much mileage - all these races make a total mileage of about 6miles! ps reeth is sometimes on the thursday is it? - or is it the thursday before!
    Calderdale !

also Weasdale + Simonside
    No country for old men.

The 2nd Saturday in September ( 10-09-2011 ) is Hodder Valley Show and Fell Race, in the heart of the Forest of Bowland. This year it is the best of the 3 venues - Dunsop Bridge - with the racing going up over Mellor Knoll to the trig point on Totteridge Fell and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Calderdale !

also Weasdale + Simonside

Wrong Hebden Alf!

Daleside means the one just South-east of Grassington so sort of Wharfedale still!