Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broad fitting fell shoes...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Broad fitting fell shoes...

I've been wearing Walsh Ultras for a few years but they just do not last around here. I bought a new pair at the Ben and the fore foot is already like a slick. I do realise I run on aggressive terrain, and also a fore foot runner, but its a bit pricey to stick..

Any other options...

Used mizuno wave harriers, great, but not great on steep terrain or wet rock. 4 pairs.
    Montrail Highlanders, similar, good, long lasting, not great on steep wet grass. 2 pairs.
    Speed Crosses, not bad, toe box wripped open after low mileage.

Surpised Inov8 still haven't brought out a wide fitting fell shoe, but seem intent on bringing on multiple weights of the same trail shoe....

Re: Broad fitting fell shoes..

Iain, would Walsh Spirit Peak be any different to the ones you're using? The other possibuility is La Sportiva Crosslite, but their grip on wet rock is suspect (a bit like ice sometimes). They're so much more comfortable than Inov8s, though.

Same problem here. Big bunion and broad feet from 3 years bare-foot in Cyprus. I often end up with shoes that are too long or else the bunion splits the side of the shoe.

Yeah had a pair of cross lites, may go back to them quite liked them just didn't like the covered toe box.

Not sure about the spirits, how wide are they?

Hey Iain,

Matt F here, I too have wide feet, and agree with others on here that the crosslite's are the comfiest and widest I've tried so far. However, I just don't trust the grip - especially on wet steep muddy grass (pretty much like everything we have here in north wales!). I've just bought a pair of the inov8 mudclaw 272's (the bright red ones) which seemed a lot more comfortable than the previous editions of the mudclaw (330's and 270's). It might be worth trying on a pair of those.

What size are you Iain? I've got a barely used (about 40 miles) set of new balance RX terrains in the wide 2e fitting and size 10 sitting in my porch you can have for not a lot.... Bought a pair in each width, and realised that the D width fits me better.

Either that or why not resole the walshes?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    What size are you Iain? I've got a barely used (about 40 miles) set of new balance RX terrains in the wide 2e fitting and size 10 sitting in my porch you can have for not a lot.... Bought a pair in each width, and realised that the D width fits me better.
    RX Terrains? are they same as / similar to the MT 840? If so, never realised they were available in wide fit. Got to say though the normal fit in the MT 840 seemed pretty generous.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Not sure about the spirits, how wide are they?
    they are wide but not good at all on wet rock, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Surpised Inov8 still haven't brought out a wide fitting fell shoe, but seem intent on bringing on multiple weights of the same trail shoe....
    Iain

I'm on the other side of the debate - Innov8 are a bit wide for me. I quite like the Walsh green and reds and New Balance do a range of widths - B or D do for me. Now and again NewBalance experiment with fell and trail shoes and I sometimes pick up narrow ones at their factory shop in Shap! Might also work for the wide boys!!!

Shouldn't this be in the equipment bit?