Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broad fitting fell shoes...

Re: Broad fitting fell shoes..

Yep - something more performance. Mudclaw and x-Talon. Racy seems to automatically mean 'Performance Last' (narrow fit) at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I think with Mudclaws and Xtalons it's as much about overall room in the toebox as width. I put a 3mm footbed in my 330s and persisted with them out of tightness and bloodymindedness - and now they fit like a glove. But agree you shouldn't have to go through that to get a pair of shoes to be comfortable.

With Xtalons, trying them on in the shop it was as much the 'height' of the toebox as the width that felt restrictive.
    At keswick c'wealths last year they ahd a few broad fitting prototypes so I thought, or at least a firm commitment to get some out, but nothing.

I find it odd, if you have narrow feet you can have a choice of any shoe of any weight, they'll bring out a shoe 20g lighter than the same shoe and expect sales, yet if they just brought out a wide fitting fell shoe they would instantly grab a huge new market...

I think its a good comment re clogs, walshes are almost too wide, have they changed the heal? i got a blister duiring the BM's race, and have previously done things like the paddy in walshes with no blister..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Terry the Tortoise View Post
    We don't need "wide" fitting shoes, we need anatomical fit shoes.
    Anatomical shoes can still feel snug and secure but provide room for feet to work naturally.
    Wide fit shoes just feel like clogs.
    "
    Thats what were looking at, a similar fit to our new "Anatomical last" as on the road shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    "
    Thats what were looking at, a similar fit to our new "Anatomical last" as on the road shoes
    That's all very well, but surely the point is that not everyone's 'anatomy' is the same...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skids View Post
    That's all very well, but surely the point is that not everyone's 'anatomy' is the same...
    Exactly.
    So Im afraid until we offer a custom fitting service of one off individual pairs we have to go with what we feel is the best fit for the majority.

Hey but the good news is that there are loads of brands offering loads of fellrunning shoes all offering different fits and characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    Exactly.
    So Im afraid until we offer a custom fitting service of one off individual pairs we have to go with what we feel is the best fit for the majority.

Hey but the good news is that there are loads of brands offering loads of fellrunning shoes all offering different fits and characteristics.
    Eh?

No you don't, you just need a broad fitting shoe...

And re your last comment...I'm sorry but why did walshes bring out the ultra's then? I'm saying the walshes aren't suitable.

As someone who spends a lot of time running in the mountains sometimes as work, I do not have a shoe I think is ideal. I've tried them all and tbh I'm envious of those narrow footed people who can access the inov 8 range.

In pure fell shoes with aggressive treads the choice is extremely limited. For me its either a fell shoe that doesn't cope with wear on rocky terrain like the walsh ultra, or a trail shoe which is quite dangerous in certain sitautions..

Quote Originally Posted by Skids View Post
    True, but I don't know of anyone who's feet are shaped like a traditional shoe.
    An anatomical last would be based on a more natural foot shape and would accommodate more people.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Eh?

No you don't, you just need a broad fitting shoe...

And re your last comment...I'm sorry but why did walshes bring out the ultra's then? I'm saying the walshes aren't suitable.

As someone who spends a lot of time running in the mountains sometimes as work, I do not have a shoe I think is ideal. I've tried them all and tbh I'm envious of those narrow footed people who can access the inov 8 range.

In pure fell shoes with aggressive treads the choice is extremely limited. For me its either a fell shoe that doesn't cope with wear on rocky terrain like the walsh ultra, or a trail shoe which is quite dangerous in certain sitautions..
    Were on with it

Terry the Tortoise, you have hit the nail fare and square on the head. Shoes need a fundamental revolution in the shape of their last (think of something symmetrical, not banana shaped).
    Inov8, You're probably the best to kick off this revolution. Here's the outline of my right foot for starters.
    The problem with shoes is not just width, it's the outside taper across the little toes as well. Why do so many people have little toes that are squashed into/underneath the adjacent toe? Because shoes are not anatomical. Toes should be equally spread if left unmolested.

Well, that killed the thread. I know I'm not the only one with 'normal' feet because I've seen plenty of other similar feet. Bring on the first cornish pasty fell shoe.