Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Heptonstall Fell Race

Re: Heptonstall Fell Race

Hello Clash - watch this space - we have prepared a detailed route description and OS Map - hoping to put this on www.heptonstallfellrace.org.uk today. The documents will be pdfs /word so allow easy download and print.

Just to clarify; Runners must stick to the route, the checkpoints are partly for safety and partly to ensure nobody cuts corners!!!
    HOWEVER - just to make it more interesting for those who want some classic tussock and bog trotting we have decided to make the section on Heptonstall Moor an unflagged "route choice" between 2 checkpoints (Hot Stones Hill and Standing Stone Hill).
    We realise this may fill some runners with dread so we have kindly provided a possible route (which will not be flagged) on our map and route description.
    HINT - those who study the map, should be able to find more direct routes - but the terrain will be tougher - so we recommed your recce this section in detail.

The rest of teh route will be partially flagged
    Last edited by Trig; 21-01-2011 at 03:13 PM.

HEPTONSTALL FELL RACE - RO's NEWS FLASH - OS MAP AND DETAILED ROUTE DESCRIPTION NOW ON WEBSITE www.heptonstallfellrace.org.uk

The new map clearly shows route and CPs on an easy to print PDF. There is a detailed written route description to make sure you don't get lost.
    Please pay carefull attention to the ROUTE CHOICE SECTION between CP1 (Hot Stones Hill) and CP2 (Standing Stone). NOTE - CP2 IS THE STANDING STONE NOT THE TRIG.
    The map and detailed written route description give runners who want an easy life a possible route from CP1 to CP2.
    BEWARE - to get a fast time confident fell runners should consider a more direct route, but this will involve nav and some ability pick your way through 2km of rods, bogs, and tussocks to an ancient standing stone (only 5ft high and not on any path).
    The organsiers would be delighted to get feedback from anybody who recces route.
    We are particularly looking forward to your solutions and experinces in solving the CP1 to CP2 problem!!
    Good luck - see you on 20th March! (or 5th of Feb if you want to join us for a guided recce???)
    Last edited by Trig; 21-01-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    HEPTONSTALL FELL RACE - RO's NEWS FLASH - OS MAP AND DETAILED ROUTE DESCRIPTION NOW ON WEBSITE www.heptonstallfellrace.org.

The new map clearly shows route and CPs on an easy to print PDF. There is a detailed written route description to make sure you don't get lost.
    Please pay carefull attention to the ROUTE CHOICE SECTION between CP1 (Hot Stones Hill) and CP2 (Standing Stone). NOTE - CP2 IS THE STANDING STONE NOT THE TRIG.
    The map and detailed written route description give runners who want an easy life a possible route from CP1 to CP2.
    BEWARE - to get a fast time confident fell runners should consider a more direct route, but this will involve nav and some ability pick your way through 2km of rods, bogs, and tussocks to an ancient standing stone (only 5ft high and not on any path).
    The organsiers would be delighted to get feedback from anybody who recces route.
    We are particularly looking forward to your solutions and experinces in solving the CP1 to CP2 problem!!
    Good luck - see you on 20th March! (or 5th of Feb if you want to join us for a guided recce???)
    I think the link is http://heptonstallfellrace.org.uk/

Thanks Alf - will edit my post - which club are you in? Trying to get some feedback from various clubs on what they think of route / numbers planning to run - hope to see you on 20th March....

Looking forward to this one, should be a challenge in an area that i don't get to run in much.

One small query though; why the 500m road section at the start? Wouldn't it be easier/safer to start us up on the bridleway rather than having us all charging up the road en-masse!? You could still do reg'n at the pub, it'd only be a 5 min walk up to the start.

Hi Andy
    Good point.....however the road is not heavily used at 1030 on a Sunday so from a traffic point/safety point of view is satisfactory. The short stetch of road will tend to spread runners out a bit before the fast descent initially on tarmac, then track and finally footpath. Also the village centre makes a pleasant starting point for the race, and as the race is raising money for the church it was thought appropriate to start in sight of the church.
    Charlie

Fair enough, I'll be there.

Can't do the recce on the 5th (helping out with junior training plus I'm doing a Trog recce on the 6th) so will be having a trot round later on, probably the week before knowing my ability to get on with sorting things.

I'll post it on here if it goes ahead, in case anyone else is interested.

Andy let me know if you fancy a recce I'll join you.

Plus you'll have no excuses like "I got lost" or summat similar when I whip you on race day :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mc View Post
    Andy let me know if you fancy a recce I'll join you.

Plus you'll have no excuses like "I got lost" or summat similar when I whip you on race day :wink:
    See you tuesday night Steve.

I'll be the one stood at the top of the hill

Heptonstall Fell Race RECCIES

Great idea to share your reccie plans on the Forum - quite a few of us live in the village and at least one of teh runners may welll be around if you'd like a guided tour of the route.