Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Heptonstall Fell Race

Re: Heptonstall Fell Race

Thanks for all your positive feedback (all being passed on to the team)

We are meeting for our "wash up" meeting on Wednesday

WE NEED YOUR IDEAS/FEEDBACK

The whole idea of the HFR was to create a race capable of becoming a classic/championship event plus a well supported community/village event. The first run is just a prototype. Assuming we run in 2012 (fingers crossed everyone will commit to to this) we are very happy to consider changing/improving any aspect of the race and wider event.

We would be interested in any views you may have on the points below - and any you would like to add.....

Possible improvements for any future running of HFR might include;

Date in calendar (clash with Northern Relays/4 Passes/Feinsdale)
    Pre race info
    Identify/improve any bottlenecks on route
    Identify/improve flagging issues
    Idendify/minimise risks - road crossing/barbed wire etc
    Water stations??
    Start time - later in day?
    Safety? Kit checks? Random?
    Increase ascent v mileage (Cat A)
    Look for any new possible lines to take toute off tarmac/track in favour of moor/bogs/grass (with landowner permission) -particularly between Blake Dean and Hardcastle Craggs
    Look lines for steeper ascents and descents / nav sections(wth landowner permission)
    More race photos -Involve photograpahers - Sportsunday/Woodentops
    Get more people spectating finish?
    Marquee in finish field to shelter timers and finished runners
    More juice/ biscuits at finish field
    Prize giving - timing / location (outdoors?)
    More music/entertainment
    Junior races
    Lower key / short race on Saturday to widen access
    How to drag more Lakes runners down here

Here's my feedback Stephen:

Poor organisation,
    Rubbish course (all road)
    Not enough recces organised,
    No publicity,
    No opportunity to purchase emergency kit before race,
    Uninspiring words at the start,
    Unfriendly marshalls,
    Not enough flagging,
    Not a tough enough finish,
    Rubblish prizes,
    Rubbish website,
    Late publishing of results,
    Poor quality flapjack at the end.

In summary it was one of the worst organised debacles I've ever experienced as I told you at the finish.

You won't catch me marking it in next year's FRA book with a big yellow marker pen as a "must-do again" race - no chance.
    @jasesteve

Super Moderator

Steve, I think the amount of runners you got for the first of hopefully many runnings of the HFR shows just how much you got right. tbh I was a bit skeptical about the race and especially it's timing, the week after the Hobble, but I'm happy to admit I was well off the mark. I really don't think you need to change much at all. I'd thought of it as a Half Hobble, but I reckon it's more of a Trog Lite, which is meant as a big compliment. Dave and Eileen were out on the course but Sportsunday's involvement would have been good too. Incidentally, there was no clash with the Four Lakeland Passes; we did both!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

My advice,
    Don't tinker, let the race bed in a few years, let a mature course record be set, don't worry about A standard, plenty of ballbusting races later in the year, nice to get so few retirals in a March race when weather could have been savage.
    One possible change re bottlenecks, at orienteering races in the Dales where wall crossings are inevitable, the organisers (usually Airienteers)construct lightweight A-shape stiles/ladders that they bring up and span the walls, to effectively give a 2-lane stile. Let's say at the first stile where there was a bit of a queue, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by threerock View Post
    My advice,
    Don't tinker, let the race bed in a few years, let a mature course record be set, don't worry about A standard, plenty of ballbusting races later in the year, nice to get so few retirals in a March race when weather could have been savage.
    One possible change re bottlenecks, at orienteering races in the Dales where wall crossings are inevitable, the organisers (usually Airienteers)construct lightweight A-shape stiles/ladders that they bring up and span the walls, to effectively give a 2-lane stile. Let's say at the first stile where there was a bit of a queue, that would be nice.
    Thanks 3rock - interested to hear about that stile bootleneck - was that coming out of woods? There was small stile at top of the next fields too. The bootleneck could be linked to an unconfirmed report that the landowner may have had an issue with runners taking a none flagged line around there - like the stile idea.

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

i agree with three rock,just the first section where we dropped down into the wood and ran along side the stream,it was really nice section but the stiles/narrow path and zig zag path caused a bit of a que and the odd nob to try and shortcut and jump the line of people waiting.
    it would be intresting to alternate clockwise to anti clockwise,but i think with how well recieved and presented this race was you could easy find 300 plus next year,something you may have to accomodate in certain sections of the route.

Hi Trig,

28 miles across the moors then eh? Sounds like a challenge - I've not gone beyond marathon distance on the roads let alone on the fells. I'd like to give it a go though... do you have a date in mind? I'm running the Windermere marathon toward the end of May so would need to think about a bit of a taper (I don't fancy going into the marathon on tired legs. Early April would be good - get the miles in the legs plus the hill training and a chance to get to know the hills around Heptonstall better. I'll keep an eye on the forum for details of the run.

Cheers,

Joey D

Looking at Sunday 3rd or 10th April - normally start at 06.30/07.00 - very social steady pace plenty of stopping for cake / photos - that said it is nt a good idea for anyone who is nt in the process of building up decent distance (mid pack Heptonstall finishers would be fine) as it can take 6-7 hours - but excellent to build endurance ready for marathons/LDWA events/3 Peaks/Ultras - will see if Hurriers/CVFR are up for it. Probably best not to turn it into anything too big as everyone must stick together - its very remote and in bad weather could be a big problem for anyone wandering off / not keeping up. Its quite hard to bail out after 7 miles so your prettu much committed after Bridestones.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post

Hi Trig,

28 miles across the moors then eh? Sounds like a challenge - I've not gone beyond marathon distance on the roads let alone on the fells. I'd like to give it a go though... do you have a date in mind? I'm running the Windermere marathon toward the end of May so would need to think about a bit of a taper (I don't fancy going into the marathon on tired legs. Early April would be good - get the miles in the legs plus the hill training and a chance to get to know the hills around Heptonstall better. I'll keep an eye on the forum for details of the run.

Cheers,

Joey D

Hi Trig - if it was the 10th I'd be definitely up for it (I'm already committed to Keighley 10k on the 3rd.) I reckon I've got it in me to stick with it all the way round. I'm signed up for the Yorkshireman Marathon in September. I'm enjoying the fell running no end at the moment. This'll be something to get my teeth in to.

Joey D

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    i agree with three rock,just the first section where we dropped down into the wood and ran along side the stream,it was really nice section but the stiles/narrow path and zig zag path caused a bit of a que and the odd nob to try and shortcut and jump the line of people waiting.
    it would be intresting to alternate clockwise to anti clockwise,but i think with how well recieved and presented this race was you could easy find 300 plus next year,something you may have to accomodate in certain sections of the route.
    Thanks Dylan - a possible solution could be the enlarged stiles suggested by 3 Rock, plus some means of stringing out the field earlier (a bit of additional wide route around village with some ascent)