Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Heptonstall Fell Race

Re: Heptonstall Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Fair enough, I'll be there.

Can't do the recce on the 5th (helping out with junior training plus I'm doing a Trog recce on the 6th) so will be having a trot round later on, probably the week before knowing my ability to get on with sorting things.

I'll post it on here if it goes ahead, in case anyone else is interested.
    ANDY - still up for a recce? We had such a good one this weekend I'm looking foward to the next. Any of your buddies or club mates up for making the core? Once timings agreed the session can be opened up to all comers? The free soup / beer at end will get us up the horrific last climb. Trig
    Last edited by Trig; 07-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Master

Anybody know if there is any water on route either decent streams or stations?
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Good point Tom - I am going to suggest that we put plastic cups/water out at the hamlet at WALSHAW - the route passes through twice at about 9 miles and again at about 12 miles - which is when hydration may be a problem. I'll throw this open to the group (some people think fell running should be entirely self sufficient). Any views???????

FREE SOUP 6th March

More FREE SOUP - Recce Route then back to White Lion

Where; White Lion Heptonstall
    When; SUNDAY,6th MARCH 08.45 for 09.00 start.
    Parking - careful restricted area is marked by signs not yellow lines - best to park at top of village after the school - or at Bowling Club (follow P signs)
    YOU CAN LEAVE BAG WITH WARM GEAR AND TOWEL IN STORE ROOM AT THE PUB (no need to go back to car)
    There will be free soup and a roaring fire at the pub at the end (all runners due back before 12.30).
    Whats the route? Faster group will aim to do full 15 mile loop, a steady group will do first 8-10 miles with various bail out options through Hardcastle Craggs.
    Check out how to get to the pub and full route on www.heptonstallfellrace.org .uk (pdfs).
    CAREFUL WHERE YOU PARK (see other strand on races)

Re: FREE SOUP 6th March

ITS STILL ON! Seems like a good number of responses from Tod/CVFR/Clem/Pudesy - SEE YOU THERE?????

Where; White Lion Heptonstall
    When; SUNDAY,6th MARCH 08.45 for 09.00 start.
    Parking - careful restricted area is marked by signs not yellow lines - best to park at top of village after the school - or at Bowling Club (follow P signs)
    YOU CAN LEAVE BAG WITH WARM GEAR AND TOWEL IN STORE ROOM AT THE PUB (no need to go back to car)
    There will be free soup and a roaring fire at the pub at the end (all runners due back before 12.00).
    Whats the route? Faster group will aim to do full 15 mile loop, a steady group will do first 8-10 miles with various bail out options through Hardcastle Craggs.
    Check out how to get to the piub and full route on www.heptonstallfellrace.org .uk (pdfs).
    CAREFUL WHERE YOU PARK (see other strand on races)
    See you there??

Re: FREE SOUP 6th March

Widdop Road looks like it's closed for the next few weeks. Does anyone know if it will be open on the 20th or is it a detour via long causeway if coming from Colne?

Widdop road might be closed

Yorks Water are laying pipes - Its definitelly closed in Mon-Friday - with massive diversions. However I took a run up last night and they seemed to have packed up for the weekend. Runners and Marshalls need access on Sunday 20th - plus we all use the road to get over to the dark side now and then. Anyone know if the plan is for the work to stop for noraml access each weekend?
    Last edited by Trig; 05-03-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Re: Widdop road might be close

The road closure lodged with Calderdale council just says 24h, daily until 10th April (although can be extended up to 18 mth if needed!!)

It also requires that access for emergency services is maintained. I guess that means that whenever they aren't working on the site they need to reinstate the highway, at least to a minimum standard.

I'm coming from south side of Burnley so I'm taking the Long Causeway just to be on safe side; it doesn't make a right lot of difference. I'd be annoyed to get all the way to Slack and have to turn around!!
    Last edited by AndyA; 05-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Seems road is open through this weekend.
    We will get in touch with contractors to share plans for 20th.
    In meantime might be worth going via long causeway just in case!
    Will keep everyone updated via website and forums. Will also send notice to clubs in Lancs.
    Safe journey see you all in sunny Heptonstall

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Saw this advertised in a cafe window in Hebden Bridge at the weekend. Might well be up for it seeing as I can't make the Stan Bradshaw round (for Trig's reference, I'm loosely associated with Clem - I've been chasing a renewal of membership for yonks now!).

Will be hard pushed to get a recce in though...will have to review my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Anyone know if the plan is for the work to stop for normal access each weekend?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    I'm coming from south side of Burnley so I'm taking the Long Causeway just to be on safe side; it doesn't make a right lot of difference. I'd be annoyed to get all the way to Slack and have to turn around!!
    When we came over to Hebden Bridge for a mooch on Sunday there was a sign up before going down into Briercliffe that the Widdop Road was closed. The Long Causeway option is only a minor inconvenience.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk