Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Heptonstall Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Beast View Post
    Hey all, looking forward to this race. Are there any group recces planned like there were last year?
    Apologies for slow response BB - still getting the hang of a new baby up here in Heptonstall - watch this space I think we'll get a recce out soon - possibly 1st 2nd Feb or 15th/16th Feb

Heptonstall Fell Race - Recce - Sat 1st Feb - 10am
    Open invite see FB link details;https://www.facebook.com/Heptonstallfellrace

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Heptonstall Fell Race - Recce - Sat 1st Feb - 10am
    Open invite see FB link details;https://www.facebook.com/Heptonstallfellrace
    Plan is to meet in Weavers Square - split to fast medium and steady groups (if numbers permit) then head back to the village cafe for a cuppa - all welcome - but you must be able to run 15miles/3000 feet and have all the right gear with you…..

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Plan is to meet in Weavers Square - split to fast medium and steady groups (if numbers permit) then head back to the village cafe for a cuppa - all welcome - but you must be able to run 15miles/3000 feet and have all the right gear with you…..
    The race website is getting a makeover - in the meantime you can get a route map and description here;

http://heptonstall.files.wordpress.c...h-marchpdf.pdf

Just in case you're not into Facebook;Recce Report; 15 of us congregated under the ruins of Heptonstall's old church in blazing sunshine and azure blue skies. We opted to stick together and keep it social as we enjoyed a rare chance to admire the moors in perfect visibility (very handy when navigating over to standing stone hill). A thin layer of ice had firmed up the bogs and a strong tail wind helped us on our way for the first 10 miles. The brutal last 5 miles saw a complete change in conditions as gale force winds whipped hail and sleet across the moors over the aptly named Shackleton. We were committed to the final ascents by this stage, so continued our expedition undaunted. Our faith was rewarded once we made the marvellous descent to Crimsworth Dean; sheltered from the storm we sailed along the valley and through the wooded final 2 miles to reach the entrance to Hardcastle Crags, and the dreaded Stairway to Heaven (500 feet ascent to Heptonstall). No-one dared to run this final climb. We struggled on like Hobitts until eventually summitting back at the village. A great day out on the hills was rounded off with tea and bacon butties in the cafe. Thanks to everyone who ran along with us today. Next recce is likely to be 15th February
    Last edited by Trig; 02-02-2014 at 11:23 PM.

What's the correct web address for the race? I've been trying to recommend it to people who didn't get into the Trog or decided it might be a bit much for them but not sure I'm pointing them in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by jellybabyfairy View Post
    What's the correct web address for the race? I've been trying to recommend it to people who didn't get into the Trog or decided it might be a bit much for them but not sure I'm pointing them in the right direction!

Thanks Hannah - we even share some of your route. Hope all goes well on Saturday it would nt be the Trog without some full-on winter conditions. I'd want my money back if it was sunny and dry.

You were absoultely right about the Heptonstall Fell Race website. The old website was closed because we were too tight to pay a new hosting fee that we were asked to pay. The old site died in April 2013. We then set up a new wordpress site (or 3) for our various evnts and somehow I lost the plot and published a non-existenet web address in all the race calenders.

Anyway I finally sorted out the right address for our 15miles race on 29th March - https://heptonstallfellrace.wordpress.com/

Many apologies for any confusion!!!

Nice(?) blog report on last year's race….from THE IMPLIED READER….

http://theimpliedreader.wordpress.co...ll-race-17313/

Guided Recce - Saturday 15th February - 10am

Heptonstall Fell Race route 15 miles 3000 feet

A few people have asked if anyone was planning to run the route again….so we're going to head out on Saturday 15th Feb….same plan as last time…..check out the FB page for details; https://www.facebook.com/Heptonstallfellrace