Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calf Compression socks/sleeves

Compression tights

Towards the end of my long run last month, I felt that it was swelling of my leg muscles that was limiting my progress more than anything else. I know that the real answer is to run more miles in training so that I develop less swelling but I got to wondering if there might be any benefit in wearing compression leggings.

Would they reduce swelling? Do they enhance recovery like some manufacturers claim? Has anybody got any? Where's the best place to buy from? Would I look a complete tw*t in them?

So many questions...

mate of mine was wearing some compression socks y'day. First time on. he said they were a real bugger to get on properly and the stitching was starting to give almost immediately. So he wasnt impressed before hed even assessed the muscle stability side of things.

I know socks arent tights but its a start isnt it?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

I saw some really snazzy looking compression tights on sale at a XC race the other day. The guy promoting them ( a 30min 10k vet) reckons that they were developed in conjunction with The Institute of Sport (or summat like that!) and had been shown to reduce oxygen usage by up to 3% in endurance athletes. Supposedly good for long runs as well as recovery - he quoted a potential 5 minute saving on a 31/2 hour marathon?

They weren't cheap (about 55 quid) but looked excellent quality and I'm seriously thinking about a pair for up and coming marathon training/racing.

I know many folk who use compression socks for calf problems so the tights would seem to be a natural progression.

They were a new brand called 2XU, but there are other makes available I believe.

Best of luck

MH

I play club hockey at quite a decent level and we've a few irish internationals who play for us and they've been given compression tights to use to aid recovery especially if they are playing in a tournament with a few games in a few days.

They use skins www.skins.com.au and they swear by them for recovery when the wear them straight after excercise and in bed at night.

You can pick them up time to time on ebay, but use the sizing chart on the skins website to make sure you get the right size, as they are not straight forward.

david
    We've got several pairs of NHS issue anti-embolism stockings (very similar to these) from when Mrs D was in hospital a while ago. Perhaps I should try them .

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    We've got several pairs of NHS issue anti-embolism stockings (very similar to these) from when Mrs D was in hospital a while ago. Perhaps I should try them .
    I'm sure they'd do your varicose veins a power of good

That picture brought back unpleasant memories and has rather put me off my cheese sandwich

Re: Compression tights

I was googling for Skins last night and found this ad on their site. Made me laugh.

http://www.skins.net/

compression stockings?

ok i admit it, i wear stockings...and i'm a bloke
    i'm an eternal sufferer of medial (inner) shin splints and pulled/twinging calve muscles. after a recent onset of the dreaded splints i dug out an old pair of Brevet anti-embolism stockings that my missus wore when she was in hospital. i started wearing them and at the same time iced the area by sticking a gel pack into the stocking. within 24hrs the pain had subdued to a wider general tenderness and 48hrs later there is only a mild general tenderness in the area. i've never known anything like it as it usually takes at least a week to get to this stage without the stockings. i'm even gonna wear them on my next run tomorrow (under running tights) as they really support the calve muscle (mine are quite chunky). does anyone else use them whilst running/resting or both and agree/disagree with my findings?

Re: compression stockings?

i have worn then after a small calf tear (had them lying round from after a hernia repair) and they seemed to help with pain, then i carried on wearing them for the first few weeks after returning to training. But as the weather gets warmer some antiembolic flight socks (Boots the chemist) might be an option as they tend to be black rather than the lovely white of TED stockings.

compression syndrome?

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Twisted anke 6 weeks ago-ish, got better at first, now painful if I try to run at all and increasing soreness, gp suspects this or some kind of break/fracture, whoopee. Have not heard of compression syndrome before - is it doom and gloom or will I get over it?