Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calf Compression socks/sleeves

Re: compression syndrome?

Hi scaniagirl

http://www.footphysicians.com/footan...l-syndrome.htm

So what is your GP intending to do?
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

Dear Physioian, thanks for that.

I had an x-ray yesterday, to rule out an obvious break, now waiting for the results to go back to my GP. If the X-ray shows nothing, she has said she will send me for a bone scan, then if that shows nothing, it's off to a sports physiologist for me.

Interested in the fact that I do already wear orthoses, so the combination of factors - arches that collapse, hot weather where I don't want to wear shoes and twisted ankle may point towards compression syndrome...mind you I'm not a doctor or anything.
    Last edited by scaniagirl; 13-06-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

No problem scaniagirl

Until you get a firm diagnosis I wouldn't get too concerned about it. There are 28 bones in the foot and ankle, so it could be something as simple as a joint or joints have become stiff or even bruised causing pain which just need mobilising.

At least your GP seems to be on the ball which is always refreshing to hear!

I'd be keen to hear how you get on so if you don't mind updating me that'd be great

Nowt showed up on the X-ray, I am now going to a sports injury clinic on the 21st July. Cycling meanwhile - my knees hate it, but it gives me some relief on the ankle.

Good news there's no fracture then. Its interesting that your knees don't like cycling, and that you wear orthoses....i'm sure there may be something in that but my head is like mush after a very long day so I won't even try and work that out at the minute! Although, (I can't help myself!) when you're cycling do your knees easily stay 'pointing forward' or do they turn inwards towards the frame?

Hmm, shall check that next time I'm cycling. I do know that over 15 yrs ago I saw a physio at Lincoln Hospital who told me that I had Hypermobile kneecaps and if I didn't have foot problems I'd never notice the knees. Probably stiffened up since then.

Yes, as I cycle, my knees sort of kink in at the top of the stroke, as I start to push down, the harder I push, the more noticable the wobble. Pressing heels down can help, but I don't know if that's good cycling form.

Hospital on monday - fracture clinic, they are sending me for an MRI scan, have given me a charming splint that runs from my heel to mid calf, is ok during the day but made the inside of my ankle sore at night so I decided only to wear it during the day. Also been referred to physio.

After some prodding worthy of a torturer in it's accuracy, the consultant said it was ligament damage, and from looking at my anatomy book and referring to where it hurt most I think it's the 'spring ligament' under the ankle bone, but I could be wrong of course.

First physio today, could not determine the problem, wiggled foot all ways and it wouldn't hurt. (Later in the day it was sore though.....). Thoughts from the physio are that I should not consider running ever, due to knee/ankle/ foot history but that it I really want to there are exercises I can do; that I should be aiming to balance for 30 secs, eyes closed, in bare feet on each foot.

10-12 week waiting list now for 'proper' physio, where they may refer me for better ankle support and better orthoses for running.

It has struck me that wearing orthoses when running off-road may not be the best option.

went for results of MRI scan.......nowt showing up.

Still sore though, especially driving, so I'm having a course of intense physio (I have also observed what the consultants do to get the painful bit, so I can tell the physio, the notes are obviosly redundant).

If the physio doesn't work then I've got to have a camera put in the joint, so I really hope the physio works. Cameras and joints really don't sound right.

All this from a stupid trurned ankle. PANTS.