Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Student protests

Re: Student protests

Shoot me down if you must but I believe education should be free for all, to be grant funded with grants to be paid back by those who do not attend or pass.

I'd much rather contribute to educating the population for the good of the country than for a load of losers who have no good reason to be unemployed, live in council houses and sponge off welfare. (This is not aimed at those who genuinely can't work and need help).
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

I kind of agree Stef, but the blurring of the line between traditional 'University Degree' and 'College Degree' means that degrees are devalued, and more people are studying for them. I don't know what is being taught on Computer Science 'Degrees' but it's got sod all to do with the real world of computers!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I kind of agree Stef, but the blurring of the line between traditional 'University Degree' and 'College Degree' means that degrees are devalued, and more people are studying for them. I don't know what is being taught on Computer Science 'Degrees' but it's got sod all to do with the real world of computers!
    Oh yes, I also think the degree situation needs a re-think. Bring back the polytechnics and make degrees more elitist again. It shouldn't be necessary for anyone but the high flyers to have a degree.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Oh yes, I also think the degree situation needs a re-think. Bring back the polytechnics and make degrees more elitist again. It shouldn't be necessary for anyone but the high flyers to have a degree.

I agree the degree situation needs a rethink, but polys always offered degrees as well as HNDs etc in my day (1981-84) so its been much longer since degrees were elitist.

Also agree on free education for all - so no doubt I'll be shot down too!!

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Nothing is free. Therefore the motto 'education should be free for all,' is an oxymoron.

The question then is who pays for the education of the individual. Well where a price is paid it is the responsibility of the parents to educate their children up to a certain age. Then the individual bears that responsibility solely.

In other words you make your choices and PAY for them.
    This is a valid point but I do not share your opinion. Anyone who achieves a good solid education, degree or no degree, can pay for it in tax over the rest of their working life.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

A protest isn't an argument. It does nothing to persuade anyone. All it does is present a demand without reasons: 'We want this....we want this....' Additionally the protesters violate the rights of others by blocking footpaths and roads.

bollocks. poll tax, fox hunting. public demonstrations, campaigns and public will can change anything we want all we have to do is really want it.

ireland would still belong to the thieving english if it wasn't for direct action and sacrifice. no pensions if it wasn't for the unions and our grandfathers belief that the sacrifice they paid would lead to better working conditions, health care and FREE EDUCATION for their grandchildren.

direct action, demonstrations, petitions and armed revolution are the only way that WE ( and as a working class man yourself should know) the working class can over throw the idle rich and make a better society for ourselves and children.

all working class man like yourself should be ashamed of themselves for arguing the case for the likes of clegg and the tory party, indeed everybody on this site are working class and those that collaborate with tories and the idle rich should similarly be ashamed.

and if you want to see people blocking paths and roads then wait until the wedding of the century takes place. you wont be able to move for the working class pigs in fascist uniforms bullying people and asking to go through their bags and pockets.
    Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

Evening, Andy, how's tricks?

No. You can't fool the children of the revolution.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Would the protests have recieved the press coverage/forum thread if they had passed off peacefully last time? Think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightless Bird View Post
    Unfortuately the students do law degrees now, and they therefore know that face coverings can now be removed by the police.
    However I'm all for recinding that law, if the courts bring back the birch!

I suppose the arguement is that if the students had turned up and just had a bit of a mooch through london and then gone home it would have been a 1 minute thing at the end of the news. This way they are on rolling news for hours at a time and getting people to discuss it.

I bet you wish you were a student Flightless Bird......I reckon you'd have been there at the front egging gullible kids into attacking the old bill then melting away ninja style. :w00t:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There