Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Training plan for BGR

Training plan for BGR

HI

Has anyone got any training tips for BGR. Got 8 months training. i know 10,000ft is suggested pw, how many miles pw? Any good races to do and if so how many races, would you do as many races as possible to get race fit? Only been running for 18mths so still learning, trained for 3 marathons but nothing like BGR, how many hours per week would people suggest you need to commit to trraining
    Any advice be appreciated.

Super Moderator

Re: Training plan for BGR

Lots of good advice in the Bob Graham section and this thread http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...0-000ft-a-week is a good place to start

Have you seen Bob's web-site? www.bobwightman.co.uk An extremely valuable resource

http://marksbgr.blogspot.com/

http://iwcs.blogspot.com/ Two blogs written by forumites who were both successful in completing the BGR

Regarding mileage is you get the 10,000ft in on the fells you're likely to have done 30-40miles. Some people do much more running than others but general advice seems to be get the climbing in rather than worry too much about mileage. Descent is another thing to be aware of!
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 26-11-2010 at 09:52 AM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I think the long races are really useful as build up, do as many as you can of Jura, Ennerdale etc. Then do the OCT and when you finish, ask yourself: could I do that again, now?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I'd say the most important things are the ups and downs rather than the distance, but the main thing is getting used to really long days on your feet and working out what you can eat.

As Grouse says, the OCT is a really good workout.

Thabks for replies, what is the oct?

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    Thabks for replies, what is the oct?
    Old Counties Tops

Be prepared to get obsessional !

The Lakes races that each cover some of the BGR are Skiddaw, Helvellyn, Langdale, Old Counties Tops, Wasdale, Ennerdale, Borrowdale and Anniversary Waltz - there may be others. However if you are looking at attempting the BG in 2011 then most of these are either too late in the year or too close to the time you'd be making an attempt - the OCT was on the same day I did my round for example.

I'm not totally convinced that races are good training for the BGR - they are at too fast a pace and you aren't out on the hill for long enough.

As others have said, time on your feet and getting ascent and descent in to your legs are the real key.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Agree with GeoffB & Bob.... long days/weekends in the hills (getting to know route too) got to be best training for your round......some of my best memories are of long days in winter and spring tramping round looking for optimum routes, usually on my own or with a few like minded runners......also get along to help/support others if you can on their recce's or rounds.

my training commenced fom scratch on Jan 1st 06. Back ground of 20 yrs road running and cross country. I had known about the BGR for 10 yrs and stored it away for a future challenge. I got round in 23n1/2 on 10th June.

Whats the secret. Nothing to do with running! All to do with strength of mind and Strength of body. climbing, climbing , climbing climbing.
    I did manage to do 8 wk ends on the bounce in the lakes.
    The real secret is an absolute desire to get round and make the decision to do it, what ever it takes.

I didn't mean that time on feet is not important, but I do feel long races give you a great conditioning and resilience which is invaluable, it certainly felt like that to me.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.