Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Training plan for BGR

Re: Training plan for BGR

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    HI

Has anyone got any training tips for BGR. Got 8 months training. i know 10,000ft is suggested pw, how many miles pw? Any good races to do and if so how many races, would you do as many races as possible to get race fit? Only been running for 18mths so still learning, trained for 3 marathons but nothing like BGR, how many hours per week would people suggest you need to commit to trraining
    Any advice be appreciated.
    What's your starting point? If you are knocking out 60-70 miles pw, and include hills in the training, then you're pretty likely to get round on that. If you want a quick time, then lots of long runs and time on your feet.

I did it last year. I fit the above, and got round fine. Longest run I did was a support of leg 3 3 weeks earlier. I also did Edale Skyline in the March. Other than that my furthest runs were around the 10 mile mark every so often. The thing that got me round was I was having a laugh with some great people.

Master

Phil, am I right in thinking your round was exceptional? I think I heard you supported leg 1 and just decided to carry on. Or am I confusing you with another dpfr
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Pretty much agree with the general advice on here, particularly moorlander's comments. I spent 14 weekends up in the Lakes last year, having long days out, finishing the OCT despite being in a bad way, supporting other BGs and culminating in my last training run being the last 3 legs on someone's BG. Those long, long days paid off in July.

For it to be a "fun" day, your body and legs need to be adapted and the only way to do that is get out there and do big climbs. I averaged 13,000ft a week over the last 3 months of training.

The other thing I'd say is that, if you've only started running 18 months ago and haven't done much on the fells, then unless you have a background in walking on the mountains, I'd seriously consider 2011 as a "training and adaptation" year, do the Classics, help other BGs and let those legs adapt. Do too much too soon and you might pay the price with injury in the longer term.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Agree with Mr1470, 2011 may be too soon. I started my BGR training 12 months before with supporting a leg of BGR. Then did LWW in Sept, OMM in Oct, 2 x LDWA events in Nov/Dec, support of winter BGR in Dec, Edale Skyline in Mar, 8 big days out in Lakes/Peaks Apr to June (inc 2 x 3 legs of BGR in support).
    Maybe some super fit people can do it on only a few months training, but the rest of us need the time in our legs and the confidence of knowing it can be done.
    Just how much of it is in the head? 50%? Maybe more?
    PS
    Good luck to all Winter Round attemptees in Dec.

I'd only been running a little over two years when I did my round this summer - and I'm very much middle of the field (unlike one Mr. Winskill, whose training regimes clearly don't apply to us plodders) - so it's by no means out of the question that you should do a round this coming summer. It did however require the kind of obsessiveness hinted at here by others ... 30-40 mile weeks in the autumn, Bradfield Boundary Run (48 miles and 12 hours) at Xmas, then 10,000 ft weeks from Jan/Feb onwards (which almost inevitably imply lots of long days at the weekends and the 40 miles or so mentioned above) ...

I think some longer races are good to throw into the mix, both to keep you interested and because there are points on the round when you may find you have to push on at a pace other than the one that necessarily feels "comfortable" (much like racing when you have to up the tempo beyond the 15-20min mile training pace you've got used to on your long days out) ... it's also a good way to keep yourself interested and a good excuse to get up to the Lakes for a good race followed by a long day out on tired legs the following day ...

Also good to consider one or two other "smaller" challenges to run *to a schedule* - in my part of the world, Kinder Dozen and Killer to 8 hour schedules, and 15 Trigs to a 14/15 hour schedule. High Peak Marathon or Fellsman good for getting overnight experience (though you can do that by supporting others' attempts too), and OCT definitely a good one to finish on ... I think there were probably a few successful completers of BGRs this summer who took considerable strength from the fact that, despite being in bits in the heat of the OCT, still got to the finish and were more or less recovered within a week or so.

Like the look of the old counties tops will give that a go. never ran beyond 26 miles and the longest i been on my feet is 4 hours so got a lot of work to do, but looking forward to it. thanks for advice. I do believe you need to be mentally tough , thats 1 area i need to work on. But we will do it

Hello there

I guess it will be very personal my training was:

have baby (not mandatory)
    do some gentle running but always in the hills (i live in lakes so that helps)
    then 3 months of 10,000 ft a week (give or take the odd one lost to holiday / work) - mostly spent on BGR terrain
    Do Cullin ridge to get big long (16 hr) day on legs and moving on the hills - this was really important for my confidence about being able to be active for long period of time
    Didn't do any racing - as another has said i find them to fast and too short for this sort of training - also i push myself quite hard so risk of injury felt too high
    lots and lots of time on the route to get really familiar with it

that got me round - i would say a big part of it was in my head - the confidence to know you could run through the painful bits, the confidence to run fast down hill, being able to deal with bad weather

good luck is a good day out

kate

[QUOTE=#
    Just how much of it is in the head? 50%? Maybe more?
    .[/QUOTE]

Over 90% I'd say.
    When it gets tough on those final sections, successful completion boils down to one final question - How much do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Phil, am I right in thinking your round was exceptional? I think I heard you supported leg 1 and just decided to carry on. Or am I confusing you with another dpfr
    Yes, that was Phil. I had to suffer him doing Michael Jackson impressions for most of Leg 2!

was doing 30 miles a week before i rested my knee, now back in training so starting to up it as we have decided to do this BGR. Just wondering what i need to do etc.
    gonna aim to do 10k of climbing an 40+ miles start an build up from there , soin as much as i can by junly. Hope i fit enough to do it by then. Some days think i will do it an others i dont. we will see