Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Training plan for BGR

Re: Training plan for BGR

I not the most experienced runner but am quite obsessive, so i believe doing the miles etc will be ok, Not got the strongest mentality which is a negative. Done a few fell races. but they only small local ones like the LLETTY FELL RACE, LLangynhafal loop, Did the grindleford gallop in 3h 44 this year would hope to do that in sub 3h15 next year as fitter now. Gonna stay off road if possible as my knee plays up. Still bit overweight by a stone or so, will focus on gettin that off next few months. Was 19 stone when i started , took up running to lose weight an lost 5 stone.

Will do the work, get some recces in an see how we do. Hope to meet some nice people on the way and have fun. If i dont do it , it wont be thru lack of effort. I WILL DO IT THOUGH

Here's a thought
    from what you say you don't have a lengthy running background, and particularly not in the fells.
    Could you do a BG this coming July ?
    quite possibly, with the right prep and build up, no reason why not.
    But whats the rush ?
    You could get round, particularly if you are strong willed - but is it too soon, could you end up injured, do your long term running prospects damage ?

YOur enquireys show that you have little idea of what the BG represents as a physical and mental challenge. (and its great that you are asking)
    Why not get into fell running next year and get a measure of the task.
    If you do you'll enjoy some great races and you will meet some great people.
    Once you've done a few long races ( note some of them won't allow you torun without experience - which is not back covering or petty beurocrcy -its a measure of the seriousness of going out in the high fells for several hours)
    Once you've done a few long races you'll have some inkling of what the BG is
    Then you can make your own plans and take your own view on what you need to do.
    There is no rush
    the BG will be there in 2012, 2013
    As some have said, people sit on the idea for many years.
    If you take your time and get in to fell running themn when you do the BG you will feel part of something and I think you'll feel a greater sense of achievement from it.
    If you just do it and move on then its just a tick on some list.
    btw - losing 5 stone requires a stong mentality I think, so you know how to set a goal and achieve it - all good
    Last edited by andy k; 28-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks Andy.
    How could you harm long term prospects?
    I have little idea of the challenge that is why i asking advice, more i hear the more stupid i think i become . Will defo do some more fell races to get experience, got few races in mind for early in year, see how i go in them.
    wanna do a long race in january any ideas?

July 2011 for you mate is entirely do-able.....believe me. Why wait? You are keen, determined, have a very good base level of fitness and 8 months is more than enough time to give yourself a decent chance of success. Yes it will still be there in 2012, 2013 which is great incase things conspire against you.

Coops you right mate, it is do able! Its the other 2 slackers i worried about lol.
    Off for a run thu or friday if u up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coops2723 View Post
    July 2011 for you mate is entirely do-able.....believe me. Why wait? You are keen, determined, have a very good base level of fitness and 8 months is more than enough time to give yourself a decent chance of success. Yes it will still be there in 2012, 2013 which is great incase things conspire against you.
    The reasons for waiting have been hinted at by several and clearly set out by andyk....but I'll set out what I believe they are in point form;

i) Part of the whole BG experience is the training for it, finding out about the whole route, respecting it, getting to know it in all sorts of conditions....that's not just achieved over a couple of months of training

ii) Injury - the reason you could "harm long term prospects" is that the up and down on such a round puts a HUGE strain on muscles and joints. Some people seem to bounce back easily, others I know have never been the same again. But one thing is sure, the more time you have spent building up, the stronger the muscles are and therefore you minimise the chance of longer-term injury

iii) The history - the BG is a fantastic thing, it's changed the lives of a lot of people. Long-term friendships have been made, debts of gratitude owed and repaid. That's part of what is so great about it. There's a reason, for instance, why Dark Peak won't let a first-year contender near a BG attempt - partly because the chances of success are reduced but, more importantly, you have a pay your dues first, by supporting others.

iv) The people - by immersing yourself in BG support and longer Lakes fell races this next year, you'll meet some wonderful people, from whom you can learn so much...and if you're lucky (as I was), they'll come along and support you. Imagine that....some of the best fellrunners in the business turning out to help you!

v) The achievement - as Andy rightly says, for so many of us, the BG is an ambition that stretches over several years and, by building up to it, immersing ourselves in it and training for it, the sense of achievement at the end is so much greater.

It's great that you're coming here for advice, I hope you're able to follow it and, in due course, become a very proud member of the club.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

All good points to be noted above, especially from somebody who has done the round and well worth thinking about. All I am saying is that if you want to do it next year there is no reason why you couldn't and shouldn't attempt the round. Still plenty of time to get to know the route, help other groups with legs and get the necassary training in. To give the best possible chance of success, sure waiting longer would be wise - but with regards to next July it can be done.

Hey why don't we flag the route
    Going to try again....

All the stuff that MR1470 said, i was ultra marathon fit and did every other weekend in the Lakes for 4/5 months. Increased the distance every visit, reccie the route, plenty of support runs and loads of hill work. Put the training in and enjoy the day, its a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Hey why don't we flag the route
    And tarmac it! It will help with the erosion. But not sure the gritters will get up there to ensure there are no slippy bits.