Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fasciitis

Re: Planter Fasciitis

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    I've had a problem with my foot since July/August. Went to see a podiatrist who said I had a soft tissue injury. After seeing no improvement and not entirely convinced with the diagnosis I went to see the physio yesterday. She confirmed PF.

She did a bit of ultrasound treatment and sent me off with some stretches and told me to get a can chilled in the freezer to massage it. I'm more minded to use a golf ball for a more intense massage. Doing this is a lot more painful and can be a couple of hours before the pain subsides. Does anyone know if this is a better approach or could actually be making things worse?

Fed up with this now but from what I've read on here and elsewhere I'm thinking I'll be having to put up with it for a while yet.
    sorry you're suffering dannyboy

I personally think you're better off using alternate heat and cold therapy on PF, that way blood flow to the area is encouraged - which promotes the healing process. Just using cold is good when an injury/condition is acute, but not in chronic stages which is where you are. Some soft tissue therapy would help as well - you could have tightness in your achilles/calf muscles or higher up the posterior chain of muscles/soft tissues might be causal factors.
    a golf ball will help (in fact I recommend it to my clients), but targeted treatment from a trained professional can really kick start the healing process.
    just out of interest, what treatment/rehab did you do in between seeing the podiatrist and seeing the physio? Often resting or doing very little won't be sufficient to eradicate an injury.

re stretches - you'll have to do them very regular, and hold them until you feel the tightness easing (rather than counting for 20-30 seconds) for the stretch to be anywhere near effective. think of a rubber band - to make it longer you need to hold it in a lengthened position for a long period of time - a short stretch and release just returns it to its original length.

I hope this helps,
    Lynne

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Thanks Lynne,

I’ve been doing a variety of achilles/calf and hamstring stretches, 5 reps daily held for 40 seconds. Is this enough? I’m not feeling too much of a stretch anymore on my right leg which is the one with the problem so I am at least confident that’s having an effect on those muscles. I can run on it and have done the odd 4/5 miler just to feel how things are. That doesn’t seem to make things worse but equally there’s no noticeable improvement either. Other than that I’ve been cycling to keep things ticking over.

I’m prepared to take the discomfort from using the golf ball, I was just worried that doing so might aggravate things. How long do you recommend your clients persist with that at any one time, eg 5-10 mins a day or just as often and as long as is bearable? My physio has asked that I go back in a week, I’m hoping there will at least be a minor improvement in this short time if I keep on with what’s been suggested and a bit more on top.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Thanks Lynne,

I’ve been doing a variety of achilles/calf and hamstring stretches, 5 reps daily held for 40 seconds. Is this enough? I’m not feeling too much of a stretch anymore on my right leg which is the one with the problem so I am at least confident that’s having an effect on those muscles. I can run on it and have done the odd 4/5 miler just to feel how things are. That doesn’t seem to make things worse but equally there’s no noticeable improvement either. Other than that I’ve been cycling to keep things ticking over.

I’m prepared to take the discomfort from using the golf ball, I was just worried that doing so might aggravate things. How long do you recommend your clients persist with that at any one time, eg 5-10 mins a day or just as often and as long as is bearable? My physio has asked that I go back in a week, I’m hoping there will at least be a minor improvement in this short time if I keep on with what’s been suggested and a bit more on top.
    Good you've been doing stretches - I'd just say to stop counting and listen to how it feels, if you're in a stretch for 5 mins then so be it! At least you are starting to notice a difference in how it feels, so go with that. the golf ball use/aggravation balance is one you'll have judge - definitely doing too much or being too aggressive could irritate the fascia. the main thing is that it should be relatively pain free - or at least not excruciating - when you roll. doing it a couple of times a day is good. make sure yr physio does some soft tissue work - ie. actually gets hands on so they feel what is happening and how it's changing.
    good luck!

Cheers Lynne,

I've probably been putting a bit too much pressure on when using the golf ball so will ease off a bit.

Hi, I have read through all the advice above as I have now had PF since the beginning of March. I laid of running and took to the gym, as the pain had started to ease I have started again, just 2 miles, Saturday and 3 miles last night, so resting inbetween. The pain is back today, but I dont think I am back to the beginning with it as it is no where near as painful as it was. After my run on Saturday I had some pain but it was back to ust an ache by the end of Sunday. I have regular sports massage/physio and I stretch and ice. I have had it before but never for this long, I have just ordered a aircast airheel at vast expense, as I have got to the point where I will try anything. Am due to do my first fell race for 8 weeks on Saturday, 5.5 miles - Charlesworth Chase - and worse than that am due to start training for an ultra in October next Monday, any advice on how to beat this would be most appreciated. I havent got a golf ball, I live next door to a course but non have landed recently, used a marble last night, which may have been too much......Right back to rolling the foot on it massage stick under the desk.

when I had this i was put on light duty at work to take body weigh of area, while training took to mtb in a big way for me it lasted 6 months when i started to run again there was a small amount of pain as you would expect but eased as progress increased

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

I've been suffering for a couple of months now, but thankfully, it appears to be going (I can walk properly on a morning now!)
    First started to make its presence known a couple of weeks before the (Stainland Lions) 'Bluebell Trail Race'

However, due to compensating for it when running, my left knee is playing up a bit, it won't straighten fully.

I've been having to run in a slightly crouching/squatting position, which looks odd, but helps

Monday evenings Trunce was one of the first times it's seemed okay, but I still can't accelerate rapidly, I've got to take it slower for the first mile of any run (loss of fitness too!!!,)
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Roll a golf ball under foot as much pressure as you can take! twice a day, lots & lots & lots of stretching to achillies & stretch foot before you get out of bed in a morning. and custom insoles for work as im on my feet all day and super feet insoles in your running trainers. this worked for me I had it 9 months never stopped running but I did back off on mileage (always ran on fells) once I got the insoles it was gone in a month, well worth the money. best of luck.
    WOODZY.

Now into my six month with it, do all the stretches, and even developed an additional lump on the side of my ankle that has nearly gone, treated with hot and cold. Have tried everything and am waiting for yet another appointment with the podiatrist. Am going to get the insoles you suggest Woodzy as honestly I will try anything, including.... not running for three weeks, due to start on Monday after Round Hill. Well it is in the club champs, and there is a month before the next one so.....:sneaky:

Now had proper diagnosis, I dont have PF it is achilles enthesitis anyone know how long I am likely to be unable to run? Have been resting for two weeks, cycling and swimming, and now have inserts for my shoes. Was planning another two weeks but as there is no improvement from rest not sure.