Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fasciitis

Re: Planter Fasciitis

commiserations on your PF

I got it 12 months ago and unfortunately it took a while to go from a ignorable niggle to a proper pain that i couldnt run with and therefore sought professional advice.

i was given a regime of stretches and took a few weeks off. resumed in time to do a few 20 milers before FLM and all was fine (but slow).
    Then a few weeks later it crept upon me again. this time i got some off the shelf inserts (£30ish) which i used 100% of the time (daytime and runs)

These seem to have sorted it out as when running I now cant even tell which foot it was. I still get aches and some pain after running though.

Bottom line is - it will take a long time to be fully gone and you should do heel raises and calf stretches.

Incidentally - I never got a satisfactory answer as to the cause of PF anyone any ideas?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

I had PF from Summer 2003 to early 2005 - complete nightmare!
    Symptoms: It would be very sore for about 4 days then get better, then I would start getting fit again, think I was better, then... start again! This must have been the pattern every 6-8 weeks for all that time. Following on from that got another injury which was linked (Posterior Tibilis tendinitis) - above ankle on the inside.
    Treatment: Massage on injury - VERY painful! Orthotics to correct an imbalance in my running action. Thankfully, seem to have overcome the injury as have trained continuously now since September 2005.
    Follow up: You will need a full set of stretches before and after all runs - particularly for calves! One I do incorporates a calf stretch with one for the plantar fascia. Also, I see a physio for a maintenance sports massage every 2 weeks. Consequently, has to be said, this is an expensive injury too!

Spoke with Oxo Cube last night - he's still suffering with his too - I think in time, if you get the treatment and do the stretching it does finally subside!
    You'll never Walk Alone!

I had pf, doc didn't help, nead it this way and that, cobblers. Find a good pod who looks after sporty types, took 18 months from bad to gone, pain free for a year, follow up last month, pod says it should be gone for good
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

Cause of PF?

the pod that i saw said the majority of people get pf from foot pronation, that is your foot splayes out and tips, pulling on the pf tendons that attach to the heel and the first 2 toes. This pulls the tendon tight, and when we walk/run the tendons are ripped from the heel, ouch! These micro tears are the causes of the pain, and cause a heel spur to grow to try to slacken it's self. several years of this, it might go away on it's own (might). my pod measured the ammount my feet were tilted over and out, and made orthotics to correct this. within weeks the pain lessened, to gone in 18 months. i found exercises,streching,ice,etc were no help as mine was a pure mechanical fault. see a good pod, i found it A1!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

Commiserations, PF is truly miserable. Suggest much as above, my 3 personal faves were:
    1. Frictions, lots and frequently
    2. Stretching, lots
    3. Visit a proper podiatrist and get some decent insoles

Good luck! It will go away, honest!

Had PF for 10 months now, but still able to run on it, albeit with lots of massage, stretching and rolling a frozen tin can around. It is, however, getting worse and I have been offered a cortisone injection. Has anyone had success with this or does anyone who has had one not recommend it?

THanks for all the advise. I have also been looking at cortisone injections. I think, in the right hands, can be effective but I would also like to hear from anyone who has had similar treatment. I think I remember reading Oxo was going to have one- is he back on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by gyppo View Post
    I'd be wary about a cortisone injection as it may leave your achilles tendon more liable to rupture.
    Oops. Thought I was still looking at Achilles thread. Please ignore my erroneous advice.

Chris

I had Plantar Fasciitis some years ago which was cured in one session by a physio, Mick Gill in Crewe who unfortunately has now died.

Sorry this post is no help. The man was a genius. Did anyone on here come across him?

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    THanks for all the advise. I have also been looking at cortisone injections. I think, in the right hands, can be effective but I would also like to hear from anyone who has had similar treatment. I think I remember reading Oxo was going to have one- is he back on the forum?
    I have been out for 7 months and not too long ago I had almost given up Running entirely hence why I have'nt been on the forum for a long time. I spent a couple of months completely avoiding any exercise and getting diastrously unfit.

I saw Denise Park in Clitheroe. She is genius, but with bad PF you have to expect to spend money on the physio. It took me about 10 sessions with Denise to break down all the scar tissue that had formed trying to run a few miles here and there on it for so many months. Then I had a second cortisone.

The first cortisone a few months back did nothing. The only soreness I felt was where the needle had gone in. This time it was different. My foot swelled right up and was impossible to walk on for a few days so I went on crutches for a week. Denise said this meant it had hit the spot. 3 weeks after the injection it was still sore and I thought it had failed again, but since I started running again this week it has been a lot better. I am increasing 5 minutes per day and although it is a little sore as the plantar fascia needs to regain flexibility it is getting there. Today I ran over 40 minutes and I started with 10 minutes last weekend. I am hoping to get fit to race again over the summer.

I would reccomend a cortisone for anyone who has suffered with it for a while, but it was important for us to work on the scar tissue before using the steroid. If you can get through her waiting list give Denise a try. Good luck. Hopefully see you all on the fells this summer.

Oxo