Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fasciitis

Re: Planter Fasciitis

I'll be in touch again in a few weeks RVN. I am having some new Orthotics made and want to give them a go before doing anything else. 8 months out now another won't make a difference. I am still giving a few things a go my physio gave me and I want to show my trust in my current physio. It has aleady come a way since it was at its worst. I am seeing the last few weeks as a relapse unless it does'nt get any better in the next few.

Andy

Im sorry to hear that Andy, it is bad that you have not been running properly yet. I seem to sorted have sorted my aches and pains with wearing the insoles i have been prescribed

All this makes depressing reading.

I've suffered degrees of PF on and off for years, usually just a bit of pain in the mornings followed by complete resolution after suitable stretching and calf exercises.

After a 3 week rest following my December 22nd WHW run, I resumed running feeling great. No ache, no niggles. Unfortunately, I suspect I rather rushed back into too much mileage and now I find myself well and truely sidelined with what I think is full blown PF. I've not run since the beginning of March and it shows absolutely no sign of resolving at all. It's hard to be conscientious about stretching etc when one isn't running at all!

I've had to cancel two of my ultra races so far and it's clear I'm going to have to defer my MOB attempt for a year as well. I just hope I can be fit for September 2008.

It seems horribly unfair that the stupid thing doesn't necessarily get better with rest alone. Where's the logic in that? Half a mind to chop the damn thing off and get one of those really cool spring-like prostheses that you see on the disabled olympics. Doesn't seem to slow those guys down too much!

I've been doing a spot of mountain biking to keep fit but managed to break my fall with my face yesterday. Ah, well, off to see the doctor this afternoon. Maybe extract an NHS physio appointment out of him.

Planter Fasciitis

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I think I've just succombed and could do with a bit of guidance...

It started with a tender/sore heel that was painful to walk on in the morning but eased off during the day.Then there was general tenderness and weakness around the heel/ankle area.

Running home from work last night in fairly new shoes, I started getting shooting pains in the outside/underside of my left foot. The pain got so bad I had to stop running and had to be picked up from half way home.

This morning it was really painful in the base of the foot - so much so I thought it could be a stress fracture in one of the small bones in the foot. Now it is just very tender and hurts to walk or put pressure on the area.

Any thoughts on my best course of action (apart from RICE) - GP? Physio? Podiatrist?

Looks like I'll be doing a lot of swimming and cycling this Summer...

MH

You say you have run in newish shoes?Ease of a little and try some new shoes.
    Are the new shoes a different model? It can have a real effect on this type if injury.
    If you had no problem with your old model ,go back to them.

The new shoes are the same as I had before although updated model and they 'feel' different - the arches of my feet don't seem as supported.

I have had a really bad 24 hours - very low and depressed - this has really blown a big hole in all my plans for the Summer - Duddon Valley, Wasdale, Borrowdale etc. and then there's the Amsterdam Marathon in October for which I have paid the entry, airfare, hotel deposit etc.

When something like this happens you suddenly realise what a huge part of your life running has become...

Anyway, I'm icing a bit, massaging a bit, taking Ibuprofen a bit, and taking Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon and Brandy a lot - the latter seems to be helping

MH

Chris

I wrote on the old forum about my experience with plantar facsiitis. It is a painful experience and although you can run through the pain you worry about the risk of it becoming worse so as to need surgery.

I went to see a physiotherapist in Crewe, Mick Gill who fixed the problem in one session. The bad news is that Mick is dead now.

If your physio can't sort it out I'd shop around for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I wrote on the old forum about my experience with plantar facsiitis. It is a painful experience and although you can run through the pain you worry about the risk of it becoming worse so as to need surgery.

I went to see a physiotherapist in Crewe, Mick Gill who fixed the problem in one session. The bad news is that Mick is dead now.
    What did he do to you that killed him? Or more importantly, how did he cure you in one session? I've been undergoing "periosteal pecking" or "peppering the dragon" which is *so* painful I'm convinced it's got to be working. Trouble is, after 3 sessions, things seem pretty much the same as ever.

Well, it would have been nice to hear from Chris about his magical treatment but no matter, my PF is on the mend!

I've tried so many things it's hard to be sure what made the difference, it could just have been the passage of time but I'm inclined to think that the periosteal pecking/picking did speed up the healing process (which seemed to be going nowhere prior to the treatment).

I think anyone who's tried most other treatment options ought to consider it.

After stating running again towards the end of June I ran a 40 odd mile ultra with no problems last Saturday. West Highland Way race 2008 here I come!

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Plantar Facithingy

I have started experiencing what I believe is Plantar fasciitis, pain is in my right arch and heel and starting to creep up my ankle. Its come out of the blue though I have started road mileage after mainly off road work and repeated inury - back, knee's etc and have been using a favourite pair of old trainers which I have now binned. I am in 43 and around 11.4lb and 6ft (I know this is starting to sound like a personal column ad).

I have rested it for a week and it is no better, pain is not unbearable but running, walking and long driving journeys aggravate it and give the impression it is making it worse and given the injury time I had had I don't want to cause more damage. I have been using ice, support bandages and have just started stretching the foot and calf muscles. Any one had experience of shoe inserts and can you suggest an over the counter one that may help?

I suspect this has been a previous thread but does anyone have any tips, tricks etc.