Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fasciitis

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

lilac - you running again?

I've had 11 sessions at the physio (ultrasound and massage), been stretching and swearing a lot at it and it doesn't seem to be any better than it was mid-November. Admittedly, I've only got a mild case of it (acc. to the MRI bloke), but I still can't shift it and running on it is still out of the question.

no still not running . although it is now much better . had ultrasound massage , ice pack , rolling golfball around area , ice packs and stretching . physio has warned me not to go running until no pain first thing in the morning . at the moment theres pain when i get up for about 5 mins ( compared to all day before physio ] just cycling and have joined local gym . wary about going running as i know how severe the pain can be , gonna take no chances and follow physios instruction to the book . hate to undo all the good work . thought you said yours might not be pf ? any way hope it heals soon .

Feet in the Cowclaps

It is pf, but I've never had pain in the morning.

Yes take it easy when you do start running again. For previous injuries physios have had me doing
    30 seconds running / 30 seconds walking / 30 seconds running etc etc
    for 5 minutes on day 1, 10 minutes on day 2, 15 minutes on day 3 etc etc until I could get up to 45 minutes. Then once up to 45 minutes, introducing 5 minutes non-stop running in the middle of it, which was then lengthened to 10 minutes the next time, 15 minutes etc etc

will follow that rule . thanks . been 6 months since i ran . but have put no weight on and still feel fit , but have been going it at the gym , and on the racing bike . but running is best . hoping to start running in april , going to miss snowdon race which ive done for last seven years , which im pissed off about , but will go and watch for a change . always thought main symptom of pf was pain in the morning , secially for the first few steps ? hence the night splints you can get .

Good luck guys. I've had it for over a year and a half now and its still bad. I gave up and just decided to jog on it but racing is not going to happen anytime soon. I've tried 3 cortisone injections now and a few grand in physio. I'm thinking about shockwave therapy soon. I'll let you know if it helps if you've gone past the 6 month point and are still struggling.

Oxo

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    I'm thinking about shockwave therapy soon. I'll let you know if it helps if you've gone past the 6 month point and are still struggling.
    Cheers Oxo.

I had shockwave therapy on my achilles tendon (same leg - could there be a link with pf? do I not do enough calf stretching maybe?) last year and it definitely helped. I hope it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    Good luck guys. I've had it for over a year and a half now and its still bad. I gave up and just decided to jog on it but racing is not going to happen anytime soon. I've tried 3 cortisone injections now and a few grand in physio. I'm thinking about shockwave therapy soon. I'll let you know if it helps if you've gone past the 6 month point and are still struggling.

Oxo
    blimey !!! ive had mine 6 months , but can see it going on probly tilll 2009 . hoping to run again by april , but if i have pain i wont bother. my next step is nhs custom orhotics , although nhs physio said superfeet green were ideal for my gait . not going to risk running as ive got some walking holidays in the summer and i dont want to mess these up . refuse to pay a physio , would sooner take up cycling than pay out lots of money .what does shockwave therapy involve ? also heard there is a last resort operation ?

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    what does shockwave therapy involve ? also heard there is a last resort operation ?
    Shockwave therapy is a bit like this. Though the physio I saw had a kind of gun that he shot the waves through.

I remember reading somewhere that the success rate of an operation was pretty low and not at all recommended....even as a 'last resort'.

I wouldn't mind hearing some success stories about pf. People who have had it and for whom it's just a thing of the past. A lot of people seem to be saying they either didn't get over it or at best it still flares up now and again.

I was cursed with this from 2003-2005. Can gladly say been OK since then, when I had some painful physio and started wearing Orthotics. I am not saying Orthotics are the 'be all and end all', but I've certainly been OK since.
    Good luck getting back... NITF
    You'll never Walk Alone!

I'm hoping it will be a thing of the past soon. Mine has been getting loads better recently. High arch orthotics is what is doing it for me. I tried them about 6 months ago and they helped but caused pains elsewhere so I took them out. Was racing for a while but then it went much worse than ever. This time the orthotics haven't caused any other problems and I wear them all the time walking or running or just going out for a beer. Running every day at the moment probably about 45 - 50 miles per week. Its slow and i'm a stone heavier than I was at my peak but i'm growing in confidence that i'll race properly again :-)