Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kneeler chairs

Re: Kneeler chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Got it. Thanks Alexandra. Backs up a lot of what I had dicovered and been told, it's good to know I've been more or less on the right lines, and lots of other good stuff in there. I might even try a run tomorrow, haven't run for two weeks but that's been down to calf sprain rather than back.
    Such a relief - I was worried you'd be complaining I made you waste your money! I'm kicking myself for having had the book for decades and never really having made use of it til now. I am finding the standing "first aid" exercise invaluable, since it can be done even in the middle of a railway station or a run whenever I start to feel my back. I was interested to see a fit looking young man doing it at the gym the other day. I now alternate back extensions and the lying "cobra" type stretch whenever I'm weight training. Good luck with the run.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

The back and stranding extensions are the two the physio gave me last week and have helped a whole lot, I have also realised how important the hamstrings arfe - and like a lot of runners I am as tight as an err... I'm really tight everywhere which I don't think has helped, kind of neglected stretching over the last few years. Also glad thet it says running is generally back friendly , all other things being well, which is also what I have found.
    Last edited by Grouse; 11-12-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Grouse, do you have any good hamstring stretches to recommend? And what do you think of the kneeling chair?
    Last edited by Alexandra; 14-12-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Kneeler chair - well it means I can sit at my desk and get a bit of work done, whereas with the last one I knew it would be doing me a mischief in a couple of minutes. It seems to put a strain on the upper back, maybe I'm just working the muscles a bit more, so not sure if that is good or bad actually, overall I'm gflad I got it, might take it into work because it's tghere that my back has a really hard time. Ham string stretch - the physio told me to do the one where you lie on your back and bring your leg (knee bent) over to the opposite side of your body then down to the floor, I find I am very much tighter on the side where I have sciatica. I thnk any of the usual runners hamstring stretches willl probably be of benefit to be honest.

Actually, don't think this is mainly a ham string stretch, works the buttocks which I suppose are connected and sems to be doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Grouse, do you have any good hamstring stretches to recommend? And what do you think of the kneeling chair?
    Best hamstring stretch I've come across is a Psoas/Hamstring counter stretch... (see pic)... as well as stretching the hamstring of the front leg you're also stretching the hip-flexors of the back one and working on core strength/balance. The guy demonstrating it is a top sports physio... he recommends holding it for 5 minutes each side and deepening the stretch through the time.

With this stretch, as you target the hamstrings on one leg the hip flexors on the other are stretching. The tightness of one muscle group provides a counter strain to the other. Also, you’re having to recruit all of your core muscles to maintain balance and good posture in this stretch. Begin by kneeling on one knee and then straighten the other leg out in front of you. Ease into the stretch by sliding the heel of the straight leg further away from you. Resist the temptation to open out your hips and actively twist towards the extended leg to prevent this.

but grouse have you actually got a diagnosis of what your back problem is?

Slipped disc.