Page 5 of 152 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: High Peak Marathon

Re: High Peak Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Yeah, I thought I'd try to get back on path ASAP, cheers for the info.

Also anyone know what the deal is with injuries before hand, and therefore replacing team members, is it straight forwards, A's running instead of B, or do you have to keep stum and just replace them on the sly? I'd have thought as long as you aren't changing your category they wouldn't mind?
    They are very flexible at you changing team members. You can do it as often as you like via the web site, as long as you have paid your money you're in. I had to get 2 extra people in 2006 and already this time I have got one sub in place with the other imminent!!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Quick question here.

When you leave lost lad, I think, you go down sheepfold clough, then your next CP is cutgate? or something, apologies but from memory. So I think I'd follow the 'track' runs down sheepfold clough to the main valley, then head direct NW? to the main track again, is that the best route?

Or is that info very confidential?
    I've not heard yet so I probably not in but I'll try and drop in to another team

Do you have to go down Sheepfold clough. The new path to Cartledge rocks would seem alot quicker and dryer and then on to Howden edge via Cartledge Brook as in the 15 trigs route

Happy to take any one that way for a recce. I don't fancy going the whole way to Bleaklow between christmas and NewYear as I've the Bradfield Boundary a few days later.

I'm racing tommorow night over to Berristers Tor and back via Back tor. All rough stuff with the route chosen so as there are no paths available Lost Lad -Sheepfold clough are out of bounds

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I don't fancy going the whole way to Bleaklow between christmas and NewYear as I've the Bradfield Boundary a few days later.
    Heard about this the other day. Fancy that one year. How do you get involved, can you? if outside the club, looks a nice run.

Heard about this the other day. Fancy that one year. How do you get involved, can you? if outside the club, looks a nice run.
    Iain

I'll Pm you with the details

Ian

Cheers, no rush as it won't be until next year at the earliest, just have it in mind.

Quick question here.

When you leave lost lad, I think, you go down sheepfold clough, then your next CP is cutgate? or something, apologies but from memory. So I think I'd follow the 'track' runs down sheepfold clough to the main valley, then head direct NW? to the main track again, is that the best route?

Or is that info very confidential?
    Iain,
    From Lost lad follow a bearing roughly North - a bit rough but navigationally safe. With the stream on your right (you can hear it in the dark) eventually pick up path above the stream, follow it to the sheepfold clough CP.
    Alternatively from Lost lad you can go along the path (NW) and after a small ascent vere right and follow path to sheepfold clough. This is NOT quicker and people are known to overshoot the turn and do extra distance.

From sheepfold clough turn E along path, cross stream and with small knoll on left leave path and follow trod which does diagonal descent to cross other stream. Follow distinct trod N-NW to eventually cross Foul clough, steep uphill, pass grouse butt and follow another distinct trod in a roughly N direction. At Robin Hood Moss (broad reentrant) go ahead to pick up well used quad track going NW to eventually join the Howden Edge path going N.

For High Neb follow the road all the way to the cattle grid.
    An obvious looking short cut over Bamford Moor can only be described as insane!

From High Neb the best route is the low path - not too close to the crags as this is rough and involves extra ascent. There is no gain in going over the top of Stanage Edge since the CP is low down.
    Good luck
    Yiannis
    PS: It looks as though I am not in this year.

Great shame you don't have an entry YDT, I know you would have been hoping for a rematch against the RC Vets!
    Here's hoping they have the odd team cancellation and slot you Superstars in, was your Polar Pal up for it with you guys again?
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Yup. The obvious looking short cut over Bamford Moor IS insane .
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Just ran from the top dam, up Cutgate and along to Swains head. Awful..

Top few inches slush, then an inch of frozen terrain then bog, so you were constantly slushing through cold big but occassionally falling through the ice into the bog. Felling fat and hung over didn't help, even one of the collies was refusing to follow in places. i'll put some pics on the blog later.

Path quite obvious in the light, but peters out in places, as long as you concentrate it should be OK to follow, as long as you are careful crossing groughs.

Should have recced before I entered...:-)

Just ran from the top dam, up Cutgate and along to Swains head. Awful..
    Almost perfect Watershed conditions then.....
    add some truly murky darkness and there you are ..... again!

I'm sure you will have many happy hours Ian, in the days to come
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..