Page 54 of 152 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: High Peak Marathon

Re: high peak marathon

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

The timing was right we averaged 1 MPH over Bleaklow
    That's incredible

sounds like you all had fun...

im glad we went out last friday night.. and i thought that was bad..

at least we are all ready for next friday no matter what the weather throws at us.. I HOPE

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

The timing was right we averaged 1 MPH over Bleaklow
    That's amazing! We've set the bar pretty high there! And, Ian, don't beat yourself up about the nav. Especially in those conditions. You did a great job leading us around and back to the Landy...eventually!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Master and MR

[quote=IanDarkpeak;311108]never the less it was a mistake that I should not have made. Cold tired and trying to keep up the pace to get us off. time looking at the map featureless as it was would have saved us a bit of time

My mistake was not stopping and checking the map. (even though 2 maps blew away) and running on a bearing given by mamalaids GPS even though it was correct but not accounting for terrain.

Having a closer look, that stone we saw sticking up at that grough was put there by me two years ago. slap bang on one of my race lines

Its weird how in a whiteout it all seems so barren.
    Ian this must be the worst you have seen the Peak regards snow. Certainly is for me
    I had a run the other week and I was on grindslow knoll and just couldnt suss out my position and I NEVER EVER GET LOST THERE. Think the mountan rescue boys must have had a lot of shouts this winter.

The HPM will be an epic if its like that, id be surprised i the route isnt altered surely. Even the strongest of teams will struggle.
    ( oh by the way with all this training your carrying the heavy gear as your the fittest)

Unhappy Re: high peak marathon

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post

....... id be surprised i the route isnt altered surely. Even the strongest of teams will struggle.
    I hope they don't put on a short route just because it is going to be tough, it will spoil the fun.
    Yiannis
    Last edited by ydt; 28-02-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: error

Cheers all, that really was an epic day out! I'm going to show that photo to people at work tomorrow when they ask whether I had a nice little run on my day off! My Garmin says 18.09 miles, average speed over the whole run 25 min/mile! Oh and 3500 kcal burned so we deserved those Bakewell tarts

Ian, I think you did a great job of navigating in those conditions. In fact it was a great group: although it was hard work I was never concerned that we were going to have to stop and dig a snow hole for the night. Dave deserves a special mention - what a feisty little dog!

I don't think I've really improved my familiarity with Bleaklow's landmarks though: hope we get better weather on Friday.

Clare

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I hope they don't put on a short route just because it is going to be tough, it will spoil the fun.
    Yiannis
    Agreed. Just need to wrap up a bit warmer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Cheers all, that really was an epic day out! I'm going to show that photo to people at work tomorrow when they ask whether I had a nice little run on my day off! My Garmin says 18.09 miles, average speed over the whole run 25 min/mile! Oh and 3500 kcal burned so we deserved those Bakewell tarts

Ian, I think you did a great job of navigating in those conditions. In fact it was a great group: although it was hard work I was never concerned that we were going to have to stop and dig a snow hole for the night. Dave deserves a special mention - what a feisty little dog!

I don't think I've really improved my familiarity with Bleaklow's landmarks though: hope we get better weather on Friday.

Clare
    It was nice to have you along Clare, You were even more cheerful than me. Nice to have the landrover along as well phew!

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Agreed. Just need to wrap up a bit warmer!!
    I'm thinking buffalow mountain shirt with down jacket as a back up, The team will be carrying a stove to brew up some hot chocolate along the way, heated gloves and skis.

Some of the Woodhead team(those that were having a BBQ on TT) are thinking of camping somewhere along Howden edge and having bacon sandwiches on the go all night.

First off next week can't be as bad as Friday anyway and the chances are that any weather will be better than we had. That said if it was that bad, they'd definitely change the route I think; Snake Pass would have been inaccessible to the food stop checkpoint team by car wouldn't it and I doubt that they'd have fancied placing checkpoint teams at Swain's Head, Bleaklow Stones and at Wainstones... assuming the teams could've even got up there.

I'm thinking buffalow mountain shirt with down jacket as a back up, The team will be carrying a stove to brew up some hot chocolate along the way, heated gloves and skis.

Some of the Woodhead team(those that were having a BBQ on TT) are thinking of camping somewhere along Howden edge and having bacon sandwiches on the go all night.
    I'm going with what I had on on Fri (I weren't too cold), + a couple of extra layers to see me through that section. Now have Gore Tex mitts to keep my fingers toasty, a merino full face balaclava, and just awaiting my thermal Seal Skinz socks. Will take more dry layers than I'd planned to. Will also keep eyes on forecast for Fri, and if needs be get some ski goggles!

Looking forward to those butties already!