Page 55 of 152 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: High Peak Marathon

Re: high peak marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    First off next week can't be as bad as Friday anyway and the chances are that any weather will be better than we had. That said if it was that bad, they'd definitely change the route I think; Snake Pass would have been inaccessible to the food stop checkpoint team by car wouldn't it and I doubt that they'd have fancied placing checkpoint teams at Swain's Head, Bleaklow Stones and at Wainstones... assuming the teams could've even got up there.
    You're right on all counts Stolly. If conditions are as bad as described we would use a shorter route. Its a matter of time as much as anything. Really can't have teams taking 20hrs. It's not you lot I am worried about anyway but the students camping up there ( or at least their parents and University if one ends up in hospital). We could run the full route but with less checkpoints- after all we do have a lot of CPs. But that decision would be questioned at an inquest. Hopefully things will have improved by Friday . We will make a last minute decision and I may call some of you for an opinion if that's ok.
    Here's to the laid back fell runner...

Went up today and think I saw IDP's posse's tracks. It was... interesting. There was an MR exercise on so the big yellow bird was landing and circling overhead all the way over. I think they were hanging about thinking they might need to lift me off.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Rich View Post
    You're right on all counts Stolly. If conditions are as bad as described we would use a shorter route. Its a matter of time as much as anything. Really can't have teams taking 20hrs. It's not you lot I am worried about anyway but the students camping up there ( or at least their parents and University if one ends up in hospital). We could run the full route but with less checkpoints- after all we do have a lot of CPs. But that decision would be questioned at an inquest. Hopefully things will have improved by Friday . We will make a last minute decision and I may call some of you for an opinion if that's ok.
    With a bit of luck, daytime temperatures will be up in the week, which will improve conditions out there and save the race.
    I would suggest that competitors take time to check that the students at remote checkpoints are ok and if there is a problem, offer whatever assistance they can offer.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I would suggest that competitors take time to check that the students at remote checkpoints are ok and if there is a problem, offer whatever assistance they can offer.
    Yiannis
    It would be rude not to

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Went up today and think I saw IDP's posse's tracks. It was... interesting. There was an MR exercise on so the big yellow bird was landing and circling overhead all the way over. I think they were hanging about thinking they might need to lift me off.
    No Exercise try this
    http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...trict-incident

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post

Perhaps because you had your Pennine Vest on they knew you was okay.
    Its when you have that brown vest you have to worry about them swooping down

Master and MR

On a more serious note. It would be advisable to take some of those hand warmer sachets that are widely available . ( think they are about a quid).
    For those who suffer with terribly cold fingers they are a god send. And Im one of those.
    They make being out in this bearable.
    It will be a very long night, like Yiannis says lets hope we get to do the full route.

If its rough for me a balaclava and a pair of safety glasses.

One bit of advice in this snow. Try to take a turn breaking through if it comes to it. You can quickly exhaust yourself if your on the front all the time. And remember to keep checking back for the person at THE BACK. If its very claggy someone who is going through a bad patch or suffering a bit can easily be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Perhaps because you had your Pennine Vest on they knew you was okay.
    Its when you have that brown vest you have to worry about them swooping down
    It's a good job Andy wasn't about then as lord knows what they would have thought about a topless runner

SS what happened to the Pic you tried to put on?

Daz have you tried Buffalo gloves?
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    It's a good job Andy wasn't about then as lord knows what they would have thought about a topless runner

SS what happened to the Pic you tried to put on?
    Dunno, tried doing a Stolly and get it big in the message, but didn't happen. Then realised it was taken at same time as Stolly's anyway, only with me out of shot, and Stolly in it, so just left it!

I'll get a link to you guys later to all the pix taken once all uploaded
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk