Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter BGR conditions check?

Re: Winter BGR conditions chec

Thanks john. That's good advice as well as invaluable intelligence! I will enjoy the day, come what may. I will go for it whilst it's light and as you say, by pillar et al I'll know what's what. After this it's new baby in jan and no big rounds for a while so it's a symbolic big day out, 24 hrs or otherwise.

Good luck with the attempt... it sounds tough out there. You can do no more than have a good crack at it and see what happens on the day. All the best.
    Geoff Clarke

Thank you Hank, that's my philosophy for sure. I will try and make hay whilst the sun is up and on the better ground and just hope it's safe and clear. Both my rounds, summer and winter, have been blighted by truly awful weather and i would love to have a decent weather window this time.

Been running today (gently!) for an hour on my local fell on the Welsh border. Was great fun - what would I give for those conditions in the lakes: nicely compacted snow and a lovely even surface. I know, i know.....

Mark, it may be worth following some of the threads on the winter climbing forum on UKC - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=7 for conditions, you may be doing so already. One blog that is worth following is that of Steve Ashworth who gets out on the fells quite regularly - http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/blog - he's based in Ambleside. Stephen Reid at Needlesports would also be worth contacting as he's often out winter climbing.

As you know winter conditions can change daily - it just takes something like the wind to pick up to drift the snow and your intended line can be cleared or covered.

Just hope it goes well for you on the day.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Mark, it may be worth following some of the threads on the winter climbing forum on UKC - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=7 for conditions, you may be doing so already. One blog that is worth following is that of Steve Ashworth who gets out on the fells quite regularly - http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/blog - he's based in Ambleside. Stephen Reid at Needlesports would also be worth contacting as he's often out winter climbing.

As you know winter conditions can change daily - it just takes something like the wind to pick up to drift the snow and your intended line can be cleared or covered.

Just hope it goes well for you on the day.
    It would also be worth you giving Tim Austin at Planet Fear a call 01768 774 422
    Tim's a mean fellrunner plus he has ticked off some 15+ winter routes so far this year so will know what conditions are like.
    I think hes pacing a winter BG on the 17th.

If it's any help i can let you know conditions from a skiers point of view. I have hung the fell shoes up for a few weeks in favour of ski touring and hunting powder stashes at the moment. The eastern fells definitely have more cover currently with west facing slopes loaded with powder varying from knee deep to breakable windformed crust. The ridges have much windblown snow so easier going here, and with more fresh snow yesterday and this morning on westerley through north westerlies it is now looking fairly fat with snow cover everywhere. I will be heading out over Raise tomorrow and will be out most of next week so can give you an update through the week if it helps.

That would be ahuge help, thanks. A friend and bgr veteran reported that it took him over three hours to do
    moot hall to the Cumbria way between skiddaw and calva. I know things can change in a week but that does not bode at all well. Snowshoes were apprently the order of the day. Hmmm

Went up Steeple from Ennerdale, was going to do Pillar first but thigh deep snow made me traverse across to Steeple instead.

At times snow was up to my waist, the traverse onto Scoat was corniced and required an ice axe.

I was going to follow the Ennerdale Horseshoe back but after Haycock, where the best going was on top of the wall, I'd had enough and dropped back into the valley. As it was now dark and -3 the lower snow which was wet earlier had formed a lovely crust that kept catching my legs around the knee.

I was out for over six hours on a run that would normally have took around three.

If there is no more snow it should harden up a bit by next weekend, I hope you've a 4x4 on your support as if the roads are like they are now you'll need one (all the slush has turned to ice on minor roads)
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    , I hope you've a 4x4 on your support as if the roads are like they are now you'll need one (all the slush has turned to ice on minor roads)
    Key point..

What a Cracking Morning!
    I've just been up Skiddaw from near the bypass this morning then down to Hare crag and back along the Cumbrian way (Used Micro Spikes). Ice on path all way the way round Latrigg would have been slow without the the spikes. Not bad going up to the path below Lowerman but gets deeper on he last bit of the climb, not a lot on the top due to the wind. From the top down to the fence line it is deep and soft with the snow now nearly at the top of the fence so not very hard to jump but could be missed in the dark if it snows anymore! The descent to Hare crag had the little legs working hard!! About 3' deep all the way to the track. Having stopped a few times going up Skiddaw to look at the view I reached the summit just within the 85mins, but the rest was hard work taking just over 3hrs in total. Your friend is bang on with the snow shoes by the way!

Garry