Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jolly Holly Jog - Ripon 28 Dec

Jolly Holly Jog - Ripon 28 Dec

Just entered this pleasantly undulating 'mostly' off-road 10k.

http://www.riponrunners.org.uk/3.html

Any other forumites running/done it before?

Re: Jolly Holly Jog - Ripon 28

I've done it half a dozen times, but not for a few years. It's basically tarmac until the valley bottom section through Studley Royal where you criss-cross the stream about 7 times before a bit of a climb. Then it's fields/lanes/fields back to the road and a tarmac section again before finishing on the cricket ground. The muddy bits can be really muddy. If you haven't done it before, I'd recommend arriving early enough to park on the road as I nearly got stuck in the mud on the field one year.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I shall mainly be leading the race by bike [marshalling] providing its not icey like last year! Great little course in a beautifull area.
    See you there

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I've done it half a dozen times, but not for a few years. It's basically tarmac until the valley bottom section through Studley Royal where you criss-cross the stream about 7 times before a bit of a climb. Then it's fields/lanes/fields back to the road and a tarmac section again before finishing on the cricket ground. The muddy bits can be really muddy. If you haven't done it before, I'd recommend arriving early enough to park on the road as I nearly got stuck in the mud on the field one year.
    Think its changed since you last did it TF - less tarmac these days judging by the route map and description:

"The race follows the revised course introduced recently. It is an undulating route mainly on footpaths through parkland. The race starts on Hell Wath Nature Reserve, goes up Whitcliffe Lane onto public footpaths through Mackershaw Woods and Studley Roger Deer Park. It returns to Hell Wath Nature Reserve over Rose Bridge and past Hell Wath Cottage"

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Think its changed since you last did it TF - less tarmac these days judging by the route map and description:

"The race follows the revised course introduced recently. It is an undulating route mainly on footpaths through parkland. The race starts on Hell Wath Nature Reserve, goes up Whitcliffe Lane onto public footpaths through Mackershaw Woods and Studley Roger Deer Park. It returns to Hell Wath Nature Reserve over Rose Bridge and past Hell Wath Cottage"
    Go on. Next you'll be telling me Neville Chamberlain's resigned as Prime Minister.

Hi

I'm in for it, not done it before, but I hear it's a good one
    It's the last race in the club champs (was meant to be Thirsk 10, but that got cancelled), should be fun.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I think you may have run a different race. Your description does not resemble the Jolly Holly Jog that I know. The description should read 'playing field/tarmac/field/wood/deer park pasture/river/tarmac(studley lake)/deer parkland/tarmac(lane crossing)/track/tarmac/playing field'. There you go, that's a bit more accurate.

Have fun if you enter everyone, it's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    I think you may have run a different race. Your description does not resemble the Jolly Holly Jog that I know. The description should read 'playing field/tarmac/field/wood/deer park pasture/river/tarmac(studley lake)/deer parkland/tarmac(lane crossing)/track/tarmac/playing field'. There you go, that's a bit more accurate.
    Yes, MT has pointed out that it's a different course now. I last ran the event in 2005. Apologies for the out-of-date route description.

That's ok, I don't want runners to be put off by the word tarmac!

What are current conditions like up there fairyfeet? I'm guessing pretty hard ground after all the severe frosts!

Also noticed heavy snow forecast for Tuesday morning - love running in snow, just hope it doesn't play havoc with getting there from Leeds.